Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with new spa setup

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with new spa setup

We have a new SWG spa that is 312 gallons. We are new to the SWG spa our last spa was a bromine spa. It has been setup and running for about a month now. The water is cloudy. Here are my water sample readings from a Taylor K-2006C kit. The spa is always covered and not used very much.

FC .5
    PH 9.0 +
    TA 220.0
    CYA 0

We have been adding about 3 ounces of muriatic acid every other day to try and get the PH and TA down but neither of them seem to dropping. Any ideas of what I can do to get this spa clear? What goals should I be looking to achieve for this new spa?
    Intex 16' X 32' X 52" 14,364 galllon AGP, 16" sand filter & SWG, Pool Rover & Sunrise Journey SPA 320 gallons, TechniChlor 110 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with new spa setup

How are you measuring ph? 9 is really high. We don't recommend letting ph get above 8. Also your TA is very high so you need to lower that. I would do the aeration process to get TA down. My guess is that your swg is scaled. Can you see if there is scale on the plates? If there is you need to follow manufacturers acid cleaning process.

Next, your cya is very low and will make it difficult to regulate your FC level. Your really want to get cya to 20-30 ppm which will moderate your chlorine strength in the tub.

What kit are you using for test results?

What is the CH level?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need help with new spa setup

Here is todays readings

FC .5
    CC 2.0
    PH Off the scale above 8.4
    TA 220
    CH 20
    CYA 0

The spa looks a little better after adding acid last night but still cloudy. No scale build up on the SWG which is a TechniChlor 110
    Intex 16' X 32' X 52" 14,364 galllon AGP, 16" sand filter & SWG, Pool Rover & Sunrise Journey SPA 320 gallons, TechniChlor 110 SWG