Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The best energy eficient small pump

1. Back To Top    #1

The best energy eficient small pump

I have a small 1,800 galons spa with a water feature that is only turn on when needed. Sand filter that reads 31.5 usgpm and about 30 feet of head to the pump.
    Energy cost here are us$0.26 per kw
    Please advice.
    Thanks for the advice

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: The best energy eficient small pump

Welcome to tfp, Rtaule

Do you have a pump currently? If yes, what model and why do you want to replace it?

For use to recommend a pump we will need to know more details, for example, how many and what diameter are the spa jets.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help.

Who did the spa i dont think knew much and installed a 2 hp pump wich draws 11.5 amps :hammer

The spa has 7 3/8" jets.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Best regards

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

You don't want to downsize a spa pump or the jets will get much weaker. A 3/8" jets requires 15 GPM each in order to feel moderately strong. So the pump needs to produce at least 105 GPM which only a 2 HP or larger pump can do.

But you really should not need much in the way of run time per day for such a small amount of water. The spa will turnover in less than 20 minutes so I doubt you need more than that per day. How much are you running the spa per day?
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Mark
    Im running it 1 hour per day