Pool messed up for the last 3 days

Jan 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for all the help in the past.

Measured this morning with Taylor kit:

13 ppm FC, no CC, I thought it was going very green so I added a bunch of chlorine yesterday evening in a shock kit we had lying around and turned the ancient SWG up to max.
Ph 2 drops to get to 7.4 so I added 600ml of acid
125 ppm ta
<30ppm ca, the black dot at the bottom never really disappeared, the test water wasn't very cloudy

The pump is running 24/7 and I have just switched off the SWG because I dont want the FC any higher. Backwashing every 24 hours.

I just put one of those floc tablets we had lying around in the skimmer basket.

It seems a little better but it is still looking crappy...apologies for the large image

https://db.tt/UfMEnLWs

We just started summer here so I think my FC dropped to around 1 ppm before I realized.

Thanks.

Richard

You need to do the SLAM process. Link is here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Since it sounds like you have little cya in the water (do you expect this?) get your cya level up to 20-30 ppm during the SLAM process.

Generally we do not recommend the use of floc, for sure do not use it right now while you are killing off the algae.

What are you using for chlorine?

Thanks Linen!

Low CYA is not unexpected because we have added a lot of water lately, I just added a bag of stabilizer.

The water is clear now, the pH adjustment did the trick, the pump is on, the SWG off, I am thinking I need to lower the FC, its quite sunny now, should I put the SWG back on low power now or leave it off for a bit?

Thanks.

Richard

I hear you Linen, but its nice now, we swam in it as its 96.8 degF here today.

The photo made it look very green because it was early and still brightening up.

All I can think of is the green wasn't really established algae, at no point over the last 3 days did any of us feel any slimyness on the surface or bottom.

This happened once before and getting the water balance right fixed it without shocking, thats why the shock pack we used yesterday left over from last time, we didnt need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.