Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I need to replace my black Micro Mesh type cover, seems like much better covers are available now.

I think this is the best Winter cover available http://www.inyopools.com/Products/16200 ... escription , do you guys think it's worth it? At the end of the day it's more expensive than other covers but still not a huge cost, I'm open to other covers if better quality exist.

I'm not open to a safety cover, they run in the thousands to purchase and install and my pool is surrounded by a locked fence.

Here is a link to the one I think is the best, can anyone confirm if it will still allow water through, I'm sure it will, it has to for water not to collect on top, which I don't want.

Here is more info on the cover:

This Emperor cover is built to last!

This is the BEST winter cover we offer! Constructed of only the strongest Super tough woven triple-laminated polyethylene. Emperor has the heaviest, strongest and most tear resistant material we can find.  This cover features rugged polypropylene thread as well as UV-protected fabric that withstands sunlight without weakening.  The Black underside of the cover retards algae growth. Our big 5-foot overlap keeps your cover in place during winters worst. This rugged cover is built the best so it is backed by the best warranty in the industry, a 20-year warranty with 3-YEARS FULL RATED.

•20 Year Warranty - 3 Years Full
•The Best Winter Cover we offer
•Poly Threads (not cotton) are Stronger & Last Longer, won't Rot
•Tan Top / Black Colored Bottom
•10 times the abrasion resistance of other covers.
•Chemical Resistance is improved 2.5 times.

I saw your other post too......I'll go ahead and answer both in one.

In my experience, winter covers seldom last more than 5 years. I've tried the more expensive ones, as well as a tarp. None really lasted very long. Where some of the more expensive ones work well is that they allow less light through......thus making it harder for algae to grow over the winter.

As for the bags to hold down the liner.....
I've really never had good luck with them lasting more than a year or maybe two. I've skipped on buying them now and reuse empty bleach bottles to hold it down. Other than that.....there's really not many other options.

Here's what I didn't realize as compared to my last cover which needs replacing. My current cover is a black mesh type, so rain water can get through it as I need to remove it and I can just bring the leaves that are on top of it off it as well as long as I coordinate and have someone removing it from the other side.

These 20 year type warranty covers are solid, I'm told water won't get through them, in that case, how do people go about removing them after the winter without having a whole pile of leaves and dirt sitting in a huge pool of water?

Wouldn't I need a pump thrown on top of the cover first to drain it (something I don't have since I don't open my own pool). Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to do this? I wanted to try to manage the cover without having to pay someone, I could do that with mesh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.