Pool pump not working, breaker won't switch to on position.

Oct 11, 2013
Hi there. My pool was installed about 6 months along with all of the equipment and electrical that goes with it. Last weekend we noticed the pump wasn't running when it should have been. My husband checked the breaker next to the pool equipment and it was tripped. He made sure everything was completely off and tried resetting the breaker. When you flip it off and then to on it just pushes back to the middle. There are three breakers on the panel. One goes to the pool light and two to the pump (the two are connected). The one that goes to the light is on and working properly.

I called the company that installed the pool and they said they thought it was the pump which would go under the manufacturers warranty. Then I called the manufacturer who said it sounds like it's electrical since it's tripping without turning the pump on. The manufacturer will come out to check the pump but I have to pay them for their time and labor. If it's electrical then I have to go back to the people who installed my equipment.

My question is, if the breaker can't be turned on even when the pump is off, can the pump still be causing the breaker to trip? I just don't want to pay for the manufacturer to come out if the pump isn't the problem. What could be causing the breaker to trip?

Re: Pool pump not working, breaker won't switch to on positi

If the pump is turned off with a switch, then the pump should not be the cause of the trip. If the pump is a variable speed turned off with the pump controls, then it's possible for the pump to be the cause. If it's a 240-volt pump with a single pole switch, then it's possible for the pump to be the cause. It's also possible for the breaker to be bad.

Did the pool builder give you any warranty? I would think that since it's under a year, they should at least help you figure this out. I don't know why they would automatically assume that an almost new pump would be tripping the breaker.

Even if it were the pump under the manufacturer's warranty, I would think that the pool builder could handle this for you. If the builder won't help, then I would suggest getting an electrician to check this out to determine the problem.

What pump do you have?

Is the pump wired for 120 or 240 volts?

Is it a GFCI breaker?

The pump is a Hayward SP2305x7 3/4 hp 115/230V. I think it's GFCI. There's a yellow button on the breaker box that says test. We tried pressing it but nothing happens. No pop or anything. Hopefully I pressed it hard enough. Could that be the problem? The electrical is under warranty with the company that installed but he keeps saying it's the pump. They want me to rule that out first but if it's obviously electrical I don't want to waste the money.

If the breaker is on and does not trip when you press the test button, then the breaker is bad. However, if the breaker won't stay on, then the test button won't work.

If the pump is turned off, it should not be the cause of the problem.

You could disconnect the wiring from the pump to make sure that it is not the cause.

It could be a bad breaker, or short to ground. I would suggest getting an electrician to check it out.

Note: Don't do anything that you are not sure that you can do safely.

Thanks. It really seems to be electrical more than anything else. I finally convinced the company that installed it to send someone out. He's supposed to come out this afternoon so we'll see how it goes. When I find something out I'll keep you posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.