Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storing old pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

Storing old pucks

Hi, I have some old pucks that are really so old that the plastic jug they are in has deteriorated and cracked. The pucks themselves look decent and I'm still slowly using them each season to replenish the stabilizer lost over the winter. I happen to have a nearly empty pail of cal-hypo and was wondering if I can just put the pucks in there to store for the winter, or is this ill advised? The pail is still in great shape.

As always, thank you for your help,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Storing old pucks

No, you cannot put the pucks in there. It would create a very dangerous situation. Never mix "dry" chlorine types. See: http://fire-expert.com/pool_chemical_explosion2.htm
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

3. Back To Top    #3

Tabs should never be stored in the same container with any other chemical, especially calcium hypochlorite. If the plastic container is empty, cleaned out, and dried, then it would be OK to store the tabs in the bucket.

The bucket would have to be properly labeled and secured to make sure that no one accidentally adds any other chemical to the bucket. For example, they might have some other calcium hypochlorite and they might think it's OK to combine it with what's in the bucket. That would cause a big problem.

4. Back To Top    #4

Eeek!! That was some explosion.. So glad I checked first.

You're all the best - thank you!!
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.