Is your pool still open?

Most of the winter except for possibly one month, such as January. Basically until it gets so cold and rainy that it is unbearable for my wife to go out and do her therapy exercises and swimming. Nevertheless, as bad as that is, she would rather do that then use the indoor community center pool with it's 10-20 times higher active chlorine level, restricted hours, and long walks to access.

For most people, the weather in our area turns too cold around mid-October to be practical to swim again until around May, but there are days when the weather is not rainy and not so cold as to be unbearable. I put the following chart in another post that I'm copying here:

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
.56..62..64...68..74..78...81..81..80...75..64..56 ... Avg. High Temp
.40..44..44...45..48..52...54..54..54...50..46..41 ... Avg. Low Temp
.49..54..55...58..62..66...69..69..68...64..56..50 ... Average Temp (slightly more weight to daytime temp)
7.9 5.8 4.9 2.0 . 0.3 0.2 0.1 0.1 . 0.4 2.1 5.6 6.3 ... Average monthly rainfall in inches
3.1 3.9 5.0 6.2 . 6.8 7.0 7.3 6.9 . 6.2 5.0 3.5 2.9 ... kWh/m2/day from the sun (30-year average for month; panels facing south tilted at 38-15=23 degrees)
. - .. - .. - ... 6 ... 2 .. 1 .. 0 .. 0 ... 3 .. 8 . 11 .. - ... Gas Avg. Therms/day used for pool heating (1.67 Therms input per ºF increase)
. - .. - .. - . 300 100 50 . 0 . 0 . 150 400 550 . - ... $ Cost @ $1.68/Therm

So extend this into the other months at around $700-800 per month in early December, February and March with it not heated only in late December (i.e. during the holidays when we are often away anyway) through January, but remember that the pool is heated to 87-88ºF as it is used for exercise therapy with only some swimming. It's really late December through January that the temperatures are the coldest. October through April is more about avoiding the rainy days.

You guys need to move to Florida

hotday.jpg

Darn sensor is wacky again. :lol:

I think ours may have just closed for the season (I may heat it for Thanksgiving) and we're onto just using the spa now.
We've been heating ours for the last two weeks (my wife wants it in the 90's to be out in it, I'm quite happy with 80+ though I will still swim in it down into the low 70's).

Haven't had my gas bill yet (I could calculate it by looking at the meter but I'm quite happy in ignorance for at least a few more days until the bill comes in...!) so future heating may well be very dependent on that!

Mine is open year around since I live in Florida (I know, not another one :) ). Daily chemical testing has become tough since the time change. I drive to work in the dark and get home in the dark. For the past few days I've been guessing on how much bleach and acid to put in the pool and I am basically using the same daily amounts I was when we had daylight and I could test every day. It was roughly 40-50 oz of pool bleach every day and about 12 oz of acid every other day (I'm 5 months past a re-surfacing job). I actually just got delivery of a Liquidator unit that has been on backorder since October. That will be a weekend project soon, but I know it will require days of monitoring until I get the flow rates correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I think we are reaching the end of the swim season, even with a "solar" cover on the pool and bright sunny days, the solar panels were only able to get the water temperature to peak out this weekend at 79 degrees, and with our first freeze of the year forecast for Tuesday night I suspect it will all be downhill from there, unless we get very lucky.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.