Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Putting solid tarp cover over mesh safety cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Putting solid tarp cover over mesh safety cover

My inground pool already has the mesh safety cover installed.

I just bought a tarp-style winter cover to put on top to help the pool open cleaner next spring. It came with 16 water tubes.

It occurred to me that normally a tarp cover sits in the water. So if I put it over the safety cover, it won't be in the water.

Questions:
    Is the tarp going to be blowing around all winter?
    Should I pull it tight so that it doesn't flop around?
    What happens when snow gets on cover? Is the tarp going to stretch, or will it pull the tubes towards the center?
    If I leave some sag, it'll flop in the wind.

Thoughts? Anyone done this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Putting solid tarp cover over mesh safety cover

If too much snow and water piles on it that is going to make is sag and/or pull the tubes and then add weight to the mesh safety cover that may be more than it is designed to support.

Keep in mind I am in Tucson, AZ ... the land of not much snow ... but I did grow up in Illinois
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As it is now, when we have big snowstorm, the mesh cover gets pulled down into the water until it melts. It has held 30 inches or more of snow. Maybe because of the springs on the latches.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like the mesh must be tighter than I was thinking ... so maybe the weight is not an issue.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd love to know if this is a viable solution as well. I didn't enjoy opening up my pool to the mess I found w/ the mesh cover. I think I chose poorly, but now that I paid the big bucks for the mesh cover I don't want to spend more big bucks behind it.

My mesh is supposed to keep 94% of the sun's rays out. But its still a sloppy mess in there.
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
    I'd love to know if this is a viable solution as well. I didn't enjoy opening up my pool to the mess I found w/ the mesh cover. I think I chose poorly, but now that I paid the big bucks for the mesh cover I don't want to spend more big bucks behind it.

My mesh is supposed to keep 94% of the sun's rays out. But its still a sloppy mess in there.
    Close later, open earlier. Follow the closing process in Pool School . Should keep it from getting too bad.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

We just put the tarp on top of the mesh cover (with a sunk pump) and the rain water is really weighing down the mesh cover! I now wish we hadn't done this. Has anyone else had this problem?

8. Back To Top    #8

perhaps consider converting the solid tarp/pool cover to one of the newer styles on the market, that is, a solid cover with a mesh opening in the middle to provide drainage. just a thought, i have not done it.
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016