New build in So. Cal - update w/ time lapse video...

Sep 12, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
So we're finally starting the process of building a pool (again...)... Got the HOA approval and are now waiting on city to issue permits... if all goes well, we should start digging within 2 weeks or so...

Specs:
Area: 804sf
Perimeter: 120f
Depth: 3.5' - 6.5'
Volume: Guestimating it to be about 25-27K gallons...
Plaster: Color (haven't decided on the actual color yet but leaning towards gray-blue mix)
Coping: Flagstone
Bond beam: 12" faced w/ flagstone
Deck: Color Stamped concrete
Water features: 3 24" sheer descents on bond beam
SPA: 10'x7' 8-jet @ water level (will probably do infinity edge-like finish so that the spa wall is almost level w/ water surface)
Waterline tile
Skimmer: 2 on separate piping
Lights: 2 pool, 1 spa (not doing LED)
SWG: Jandy AP-1400
Filter: Jandy 580sf
Pumps: Jandy 1.5 HP for sheers, Jandy 1 HP 2-speed for filter / circulation, Pentair 3HP intelliflow for spa jets
Heater: Jandy 400LXI cupronickel
Automation: Jandy 6614AP-L power center w/ RS8 P&S & iAqualink
Plumbing: 2.5" suction w/ 2" return for pool, 3" suction w/ 2.5" return for spa jets
auto fill

Here's a pretty basic plot plan for what we want (not completely accurate -- decking goes all the way to property line on left, not showing all lights/skimmers)

[attachment=0:18ld7wi2]plot plan.png[/attachment:18ld7wi2]

We get a lot of wind from left to right during certain times of the year, so we're definitely going to need a skimmer in the right corner, would love some suggestions on placement of the other skimmer...
The first light, is going where it's shown, now we need find a place for the second light.

Would love to hear feedback, suggestions, criticisms (not too many of those, unless really warranted :) )

Attachments

• plot plan.png
    plot plan.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 260
Re: New build in So. Cal

That quote is amazing...it matches pretty much all our usual recommendations: big filter, properly sized pumps, properly sized pipe...wow! It leaves some stuff out though...how many returns in the pool? At least 3 or 4 is good. How are you planning to clean it? Manual vacuum, automatic cleaner?

Have you thought about what you'll use the deeper area for? 6.5' is too deep to stand, but too shallow to really safely dive. Most are either 5.5-ish or 8-ish deep for those reasons.

The quote is that way because this is what I asked for, mainly due to the great advice I've gotten here...

The pool will have 4 returns.

There's a vacuum line & vacuum

The depend is more for just 'playing' around... don't want any diving, just deep enough for this that want to do some 'snorkeling'...

Quick question from pool noob... Why a separate pump for circulation and filtering, when the intelliflo can handle that along with the spa function? Since you can't run the circulation while the spa is running (assuming you have a spillover into the pool), I don't see the need to run the separate pumps.

I can't speak to Gary's specific setup, but usually you'd have a separate jet pump on a separate plumbing loop, so that it doesn't have to go through the filter. All it does is pull from the spa and push from the jets...no filtration, heating, etc. In spa mode, the circulation pump would pull from a different drain and go to different returns, while being filtered/heated.

Killer95Stang, there are actually a few reasons... first of all, is I have 8 jets and in order to get somewhat strong jets, I need 15GPM per jet... that's 120GPM... Most "big" pump can handle this, w/ 0 head, but there's always head, so I oversized a little both on pipe & pump. plus this will give me control over jet strength. Plumbing it this way also allows me to bypass filter/heater, thus reducing head & prolonging equipment life.

The circulation spa will still run while the jets are on, either warming/filtering the spa, or filtering the pool, either is technically an option... I could switch heat off in spa, turn it on in pool, or vice versa... basically, my jets have nothing to do w/ which body of water I'm heating/filtering...

A few updates... got our permits, ran the utilities to where the equipment pad will be, and decided to switch all equipment to Pentair because Pentair heater is significantly smaller and we have very limited room at the eq pad... automation & swg will stay jandy.

The dig begins in the morning!!! Got the camera sitting on tripod waiting to do some time lapse shooting...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.