Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build in So. Cal - update w/ time lapse video...

1. Back To Top    #1

New build in So. Cal - update w/ time lapse video...

So we're finally starting the process of building a pool (again...)... Got the HOA approval and are now waiting on city to issue permits... if all goes well, we should start digging within 2 weeks or so...

Specs:
    Area: 804sf
    Perimeter: 120f
    Depth: 3.5' - 6.5'
    Volume: Guestimating it to be about 25-27K gallons...
    Plaster: Color (haven't decided on the actual color yet but leaning towards gray-blue mix)
    Coping: Flagstone
    Bond beam: 12" faced w/ flagstone
    Deck: Color Stamped concrete
    Water features: 3 24" sheer descents on bond beam
    SPA: 10'x7' 8-jet @ water level (will probably do infinity edge-like finish so that the spa wall is almost level w/ water surface)
    Waterline tile
    Skimmer: 2 on separate piping
    Lights: 2 pool, 1 spa (not doing LED)
    SWG: Jandy AP-1400
    Filter: Jandy 580sf
    Pumps: Jandy 1.5 HP for sheers, Jandy 1 HP 2-speed for filter / circulation, Pentair 3HP intelliflow for spa jets
    Heater: Jandy 400LXI cupronickel
    Automation: Jandy 6614AP-L power center w/ RS8 P&S & iAqualink
    Plumbing: 2.5" suction w/ 2" return for pool, 3" suction w/ 2.5" return for spa jets
    auto fill

Here's a pretty basic plot plan for what we want (not completely accurate -- decking goes all the way to property line on left, not showing all lights/skimmers)

[attachment=0:18ld7wi2]plot plan.png[/attachment:18ld7wi2]

We get a lot of wind from left to right during certain times of the year, so we're definitely going to need a skimmer in the right corner, would love some suggestions on placement of the other skimmer...
    The first light, is going where it's shown, now we need find a place for the second light.

Would love to hear feedback, suggestions, criticisms (not too many of those, unless really warranted )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28K IGP, AquaPure 1400 SWG, Inteliflow filtration, Inteliflow spa, pentair 1.5HP water feature pumps, pentair cartridge filter, 2.5 / 3" plumbing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build in So. Cal

That quote is amazing...it matches pretty much all our usual recommendations: big filter, properly sized pumps, properly sized pipe...wow! It leaves some stuff out though...how many returns in the pool? At least 3 or 4 is good. How are you planning to clean it? Manual vacuum, automatic cleaner?

Have you thought about what you'll use the deeper area for? 6.5' is too deep to stand, but too shallow to really safely dive. Most are either 5.5-ish or 8-ish deep for those reasons.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

The quote is that way because this is what I asked for, mainly due to the great advice I've gotten here...

The pool will have 4 returns.

There's a vacuum line & vacuum

The depend is more for just 'playing' around... don't want any diving, just deep enough for this that want to do some 'snorkeling'...
    28K IGP, AquaPure 1400 SWG, Inteliflow filtration, Inteliflow spa, pentair 1.5HP water feature pumps, pentair cartridge filter, 2.5 / 3" plumbing.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quick question from pool noob... Why a separate pump for circulation and filtering, when the intelliflo can handle that along with the spa function? Since you can't run the circulation while the spa is running (assuming you have a spillover into the pool), I don't see the need to run the separate pumps.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't speak to Gary's specific setup, but usually you'd have a separate jet pump on a separate plumbing loop, so that it doesn't have to go through the filter. All it does is pull from the spa and push from the jets...no filtration, heating, etc. In spa mode, the circulation pump would pull from a different drain and go to different returns, while being filtered/heated.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

6. Back To Top    #6

Killer95Stang, there are actually a few reasons... first of all, is I have 8 jets and in order to get somewhat strong jets, I need 15GPM per jet... that's 120GPM... Most "big" pump can handle this, w/ 0 head, but there's always head, so I oversized a little both on pipe & pump. plus this will give me control over jet strength. Plumbing it this way also allows me to bypass filter/heater, thus reducing head & prolonging equipment life.

The circulation spa will still run while the jets are on, either warming/filtering the spa, or filtering the pool, either is technically an option... I could switch heat off in spa, turn it on in pool, or vice versa... basically, my jets have nothing to do w/ which body of water I'm heating/filtering...

7. Back To Top    #7

A few updates... got our permits, ran the utilities to where the equipment pad will be, and decided to switch all equipment to Pentair because Pentair heater is significantly smaller and we have very limited room at the eq pad... automation & swg will stay jandy.

The dig begins in the morning!!! Got the camera sitting on tripod waiting to do some time lapse shooting...

8. Back To Top    #8

woo! Time lapses are really cool...

9. Back To Top    #9

Half way through day 1... grading almost done...

[youtube:38p538pi]6dJg_wkF_ew[/youtube:38p538pi]

10. Back To Top    #10

Actual dig - day 1 of probably 3...

[youtube:59jjj27i]7Cz7phJDPgs[/youtube:59jjj27i]

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: New build in So. Cal - update w/ time lapse video...

was the ground pretty hard? I see they brought out the jackhammer attachment.
    17k IG pool (34' X 19'), Pebble Plus Interior - Artic, Hayward ECO Star Variable Speed Pump, Hayward ProLogic P-4, Hayward 480 Cartridge Filter,
    (2) Jandy Deck Jet's and (1) bubbler, Wave Force Cleaning System, Trident UV sanitation System, TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir
    My Pool Build

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah, the first 2-3' were hard as a rock. Soil around here is pretty bad, guess that's what you get in a 'desert'

13. Back To Top    #13

The steel is in!

[youtube:1j0faoav]etqZtXBgPcU[/youtube:1j0faoav]

[youtube:1j0faoav]wtrK4IY0eE8[/youtube:1j0faoav]