25,000 gal. salt
    Tagelus TA-1000
    Intermatic timer
    Pentair salt cell
    One spitting-frog fountain
    4 returns
    Two skimmers
    One drain
    No heaters, solar WHATS?, or any other peripherals.

And one dead A.O.Smith motor!

Had to take it apart and replumb several leaks last month, I had to un-clamp the housing (I'm new to the terminology) and freed up the stuck impeller when it would only him with no flow. In doing so I did a quick on and off. Glad I did. I noticed it spins off-axis and was digging a rut into its outer body. I can simply replace the motor with a updated model, but it would guarantee we continue to get poor performance from a loud machine. I know it's poor because I realized that it's the most energy-hog device in our house and that was confirmed when I cut the timer from 8-12 hrs a day to 5-6 and the last bill reflected that. It died today.

To the left is us getting a WhisperFlo like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AL ... d_i=507846

and to the right is us getting smart with a variable, but leading us to a considerable world of confusion: go sub-$500 and stick with what we know and stay completely electro-mechanical while not enjoying much energy savings -OR- go $1,000+ with a smart system that will no doubt save us big time, but also fall prey to the uncool possibility of the most common failure I read about, the control panel/circuit getting waterlogged and dying a mere months after warranty runs out!

We're covering the 25,000 pool tomorrow until we get this situated. My wife frequents this site and thought y'all might have a strong preference of "cheap" but expensive vs. expensive but potentially expensive again.
    Pear shaped ? x 43', ~30K gallons | Vinyl Liner | ? HP Pentair pump | Hayward Sand Filter | (unused) Rainbow 320 Chlorinator | No automatic cleaner
    Someone once told me: There are two good days when a house has a pool; the day you move in and the day you move out.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rushed to the crossroads.

Welcome to TFP.

What is your electric cost per kwh? If it's less than about 20¢ per kwh a variable speed probably won't be a good investment.
    Is your current pump wired for 120 or 240 volts?

I recommend a 2-speed 1 hp uprated or a 2-speed 3/4 hp full rated pump for your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Label reads 115/230, 1.5 HP, 3450RPM, A.O. Smith EE46412 UDQ1152, Mod C48L2PA105C5, single phase, 19.2/9.6 amps, SF 1.1

Called the utility to verify the rates. She said, after adjustments, we were charged .09/kwh.

I went outside just now to see if things had simmered down, if the internals had cooled down. Put 2 gallons in and it's running. Perhaps it ran dry? Either way, we WANT a new complete unit before catastrophe strikes. I'll remove the "ON" dog before leaving town this weekend. Does this, or another you may recommend, fit the bill? http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-WhisperFl ... o+3%2F4+hp
    Pear shaped ? x 43', ~30K gallons | Vinyl Liner | ? HP Pentair pump | Hayward Sand Filter | (unused) Rainbow 320 Chlorinator | No automatic cleaner
    Someone once told me: There are two good days when a house has a pool; the day you move in and the day you move out.

4. Back To Top    #4

That unit would work, but a 2-speed model would still be better.

We still don't know whether your existing pump is hooked up 115 or 230 volt. Does it have a single pole breaker or a 2-pole breaker feeding it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Circuit box shows "Pool" with two doubles. 40A each.

Link to a better unit? I overlooked the 1 spd/2 spd part.

6. Back To Top    #6

Search Amazon for WFDS and you'll find a few.

40 amp breakers are huge for the pump. Are you sure they aren't feeding a sub panel closer to the pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree with Dave, that 40amp 220V breaker must feed a sub-panel where there are separate breakers for the pump, lights, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool's panel reads:

PL-5 Submersible Fixture
    120V 60 cyc AC 13V 25A
    325W

9. Back To Top    #9

The lid's screws are ... screwed. Locked down tight. Do I need to remove to find a rating?

10. Back To Top    #10

That's the light info.

Can you post a pic of the power panel?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Could have last night, but, having MS, fell into the pool trying to put a dome over the frog on the island before we cover the pool and killed my cam. Comical!

12. Back To Top    #12

OK. The motor, which I un-wired and re-wired last month due to a loose conduit, has black, white and ground, and it goes to the Intermatic, through the attic and into the main panel two rooms away.

This is all I have :

[img]

13. Back To Top    #13

Well that points to a 115V wiring if the wire colors are an indicator, but that does not necessarily mean that someone did not use the white as a Line wire for 230V.

Would be best to ID the pump specific breaker to confirm.

Where is your pool light getting power?

All of this is just not yet adding up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Can't tell. But the metal conduit drops down and through the concrete floor. After that, I have no idea where it leads. Are you referring to a underwater pool light? Not sure what light it goes to because there's no light in or around the pool.

15. Back To Top    #15

If there is no light then what is this about:
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJack
    Pool's panel reads:

PL-5 Submersible Fixture
    120V 60 cyc AC 13V 25A
    325W
    Where is the timer? What wires are coming in and out of it?
    Somewhere the 40amp 230V wires from the breaker have to meet up with the black/white wires from the motor and it would surprise me that it is done in the timer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Checked the leads inside the pump. Reads 110 across black and white.

17. Back To Top    #17

The pathway is: pump to timer and into the attic. No other boxes anywhere else.

18. Back To Top    #18

Where does the 40A 230V line run from the breaker panel ... you need to trace this. It has to be for more than the pump which is only 20A 115V.

Unless you have 220V supplying the timer (which would be strange I think) or have the ability to run a 220V supply to from somewhere to the timer and pump, you are stuck with a 115V motor and you may not be able to find a compatible 2-speed motor ... unless you go with a much smaller HP 2-speed and thus change the impeller as well (which is cheap). Or are you intending to get a whole new pump and not just a motor?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

I can replace all.

20. Back To Top    #20

It is very difficult to find a 115V 2-speed pump. Pentair lists a 3/4HP one, but it is hard to find anyone selling it. Everything bigger is 230V.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast