Can't keep PH down, in semi new pool.

May 28, 2013
Houston, Tx
The situation, every 3 days my PH is reading above 8.2. So I lower it with Muriatic Acid.

It like shoots up in a couple of days. Put water in the pool on August 6th. Its now been 2 months and I just can't keep the PH down.

I add 4 cups of the acid and the PH will be down to 7.2. The TA is around 110.

Any ideas?

Just keep adding acid.

The surface of a new pool can result in the pH rising, although I thought pebble did it less so than basic plaster. The SWG will also cause the pH to rise, so what you are seeing is not totally unexpected.

Do you also have any water features? They would also cause the pH to rise.

As you continually lower the pH, your TA should slowly come down which may help.

What is the pH and TA (while you are at it CH) of your top-off water?

Going to get the SWG running today, there had been a leak in the pool, so I never got them to start up the SWG. I just kept adding chlorine in myself. The leak was dumping about 3/4 inch out of the pool in 24 hours. It was finally found and fixed last Friday. Grout crack next to skimmer.

Don't have any water features, or spa. Just a nice little rectangular pool, that gets full sun form 10 am til sunset.

Straight from the tap:
Cl = 3,
pH = 7.5
TA = 170
CH = 180

Yea, I think jblizzle has you covered, just stay on top of acid addtions and it will come on down. Just to be sure, don't run your pH test with the K-1000 when the FC is 10 PPM or higher. It skews to the high side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.