Green Walls

Oct 9, 2013
I need help, I have a vinyl pool with green patches on sides of pool, located on all four sides of pool. The issue first started August 1, 2013 when I noticed green tint to water, contacted pool supplier, advised to super chlorinate with the Trichlor tab in my skimmer basked, advised to keep 2 a day in at all times. Then to shock after one week. I should also mention I was using the Nature 2 filter, but had not replaced it yet, was about 1 month behind on this.

So one week later, I was no longer getting any type of reading on my free chlorine, was told to repeat the same process. This helped, added new nature 2 filter, a few days later, I have green patches all over pool wall, not on floor, water was crystal clear, to put algaecide in pool, which I later learned was copper based, now told to put in Magic Metal, did not help. Removed the Nature 2 filter and have not put back on since all my green wall issues. Then told to use Jack Magic Copper/scale remover, no change in the pool wall. Called Jack Magic and they advised I lower my PH to 6.8, lower my Total ALK to around 30 and keep brushing pool sides, did this for 2 weeks, no change. SO added another bucket of Jack Magic copper/scale, should mention, was also added the Jacks Magic Blue Vinyl with each cooper treatment, still no change.

Tested my chlorine, at 0 now, water a little cloudy. TC was 10, My CYA test was way over 100, emptied 2/3 pool water twice, finally CYA down to 50. Then started the slamming process, water was real cloudy for days, appeared that some of the green patches were coming off wall, was doing daily wall brushing, daily FC testing to keep my FC at 20, finally stabilized without dropping, thought all was good. Removed my solar cover today, vacuumed the pool, brushed the green patches on side and water is crystal clear, green patches on wall look the exact same as it did back in August.

I should note that I was doing the BBB method, using chlorine bleach 8%, frequent backwashing the entire time. Did remove my ladder in the pool and did find dreaded hidden algae inside the ladder, bleached that, but it is out of pool for the season. I want to close my pool, but want to know how to get rid of the green patches on wall, not on floor and not slimy to touch. A while back I read on this site to try a Vitamin C tablet to see if green lightened, which it did, that is one of the reasons I went with the cooper removal treatment, but did something wrong there too.

I think the pool store guys just love me and my credit card. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. Sorry so long, but have been at this awhile. :(

Even if you are SURE your CYA level is 50....there is a 10% plus or minus in accuracy on the test. Is that a pool store testing number? You just KNOW we recommend your own good testing kit in Pool School! I'd run the FC up to 24 and keep brushing and such. Vitamin C tabs are for metal staining. A trichlor "puck" is rubbed on to remove organic stains. Is it staining, or live algae? We'd like a full set of test results please. Welcome to TFP.

Yes a small fortune in chemicals, about ready to give them my first born.
New number using TF-100 testing kit
FC-30
CC-3
PH-7.2
TA-100
CH not tested
CYA-50-60

Of note, when tested CC, went to clear briefly , then turned yellow, not sure if this is significant or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still slamming, I did try the Vitamin C on stain, did not work, held chlorine puck on stain and it did leave a clear are where puck was set. Of note, see a lot of little bubbles on the side of pool wall, not sure if they are always there or if I just noticed while I had my face inches from water while doing my stain testing :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.