Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus FNS 48 overkill for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Nautilus FNS 48 overkill for my pool?

I am thinking of changing my sand filter to a Nautilus FNS 48 DE filter. My water seems fine however I see particles floating at nite with light on. I also see dust when I brush and was just wondering if a DE filter would remove this. I can get this filter which is used for very little money however I would have to replace the grids. The filter is an older model and is black, not sure how old it is. Is this overkill for my pool. All thoughts are welcomed.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nautilus FNS 48 overkill for my pool?

It probably is overkill since our minimum recommendation is a ~15 sq.ft. DE filter for your pool. However, a filter that big should allow you to go a long time between backflushing/cleaning.

Have you tried DE in your sand filter? My experience is that it can filter those floaties you see in the water at night. The downside is, the filter needs backflushing more often.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

There is no such things as over kill on filtration on a swimming pool. A black tank is 15 years or older.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Keven
    There is no such things as over kill on filtration on a swimming pool. A black tank is 15 years or older.
    With the caveat that backwashing requirements go up with filter size. This is not such a problem with DE filters, but can be an issue with sand filters.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    It probably is overkill since our minimum recommendation is a ~15 sq.ft. DE filter for your pool. However, a filter that big should allow you to go a long time between backflushing/cleaning.

Have you tried DE in your sand filter? My experience is that it can filter those floaties you see in the water at night. The downside is, the filter needs backflushing more often.
    Linen , I presently have added DE and I see no better results. My present filter is a Hayward pro series S220T
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

Does the pressure go up as expected when you add the DE?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes Kevin I think it is about 11 years old. How long should this tank last? I will be replacing the big o-ring and the filter grids. This filter has the valve assembly so I may be looking at replacing the spider gasket later on. What are your thoughts? thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Does the pressure go up as expected when you add the DE?
    Yes it does

9. Back To Top    #9

I am not sure you will see much better clarity then that (sand filter + DE) with a DE filter...hopefully someone who has made the direct comparison can comment.

10. Back To Top    #10

Have you inspected / cleaned the sand?
    Any chance you pump is too big for your filter and pushing the small particles through? I am thinking that could be part of the problem ... the 220T has a design flow rate of 52 GPM, and you could be above that with a 1.5HP pump. If you were going to upgrade something, I might suggest getting a 2-speed motor and running on low most of the time for better filtration.

There are many members here who have clear pools with sand filters. That said, most pools will show some stuff in the water at night with the lights on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    Yes Kevin I think it is about 11 years old. How long should this tank last? I will be replacing the big o-ring and the filter grids. This filter has the valve assembly so I may be looking at replacing the spider gasket later on. What are your thoughts? thanks

If it was my filter, I would inspect all the grids and clean them before purchasing new grids.. Also the money you could possible save by not having to replace grids I would just replace the valve. Filter tanks really don't have a average life, if it was maintained correctly and the sun didn't beat it to death it could possible last forever. That filter is know for leaking at the bottom where the lower pipe attaches to the bottom of the tank.

Hope this make sense I am trying to type this on my phone.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Have you inspected / cleaned the sand?
    Any chance you pump is too big for your filter and pushing the small particles through? I am thinking that could be part of the problem ... the 220T has a design flow rate of 52 GPM, and you could be above that with a 1.5HP pump. If you were going to upgrade something, I might suggest getting a 2-speed motor and running on low most of the time for better filtration.

There are many members here who have clear pools with sand filters. That said, most pools will show some stuff in the water at night with the lights on.
    jblizzle, a 2 speed motor would not work as I have solar and the low speed would not be enough to prime panels. My pool is clear however I do see particles with the light on and I see dust when I brush the pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

If it was my filter, I would inspect all the grids and clean them before purchasing new grids.. Also the money you could possible save by not having to replace grids I would just replace the valve. Filter tanks really don't have a average life, if it was maintained correctly and the sun didn't beat it to death it could possible last forever. That filter is know for leaking at the bottom where the lower pipe attaches to the bottom of the tank.

Hope this make sense I am trying to type this on my phone.
    Kevin, the owner tells me that one of the grids is torn so I was thinking of replacing all of them. Is there a gasket I can replace at the bottom where the lower pipe attaches to the bottom of the tank? Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

My answer to the nautilus FNS 48 being to big is no.

After a lifetime of pool ownership I agree with Kevins overfiltration/ bigger filter theory and install as a big a filter as I can fit.

Bigger filters are designed to flow more and typically lower your backpressure a bit just on install.
    Bigger filter take longer to soil as well extending backwash times.

If you were happy with your filters prior performance you could just fix it (if possible) and keep it.

Any pool will show dust when brushing after some time regardless of its filter medium even with 24x7 pump runs you cant get all of it to the skimmer(s).

If you were never pleased with its performance you may consider zeobrite/ zeoX instead of sand.
    Sand and DE works well for a lot of people - and it isn't too much of a hassle unless you backwash a lot and have to keep buying bags of de and find a place to put the muck.
    Spent dirty DE is a really nasty substance.

I'm several months into zeo and have been very happy with its performance and find its filtration equal to the Quad DE 60 I was using with none of the cleaning hassles. Zeo only needs maintenance 1 once a year with an overnight soak of cleaner so although not totally maintenance free- pretty darn close.

Ill pay that price for DE clarity and sand ease of backwashing.

Zeo has on the order of 10X the surface area that pool sand does which is why it catches fines down to the same level.
    If "unfolded" a single teaspoon would cover something like a football field of surface area.

Uncle Dave
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB

15. Back To Top    #15

Uncle Dave I have decided not to buy the FNS 48 due to its age, however I am looking at a 2year old Hayward DE 4820. I will have to cut the in and out piping to the sand filter in order to inspect the sand. My issue is that over time the heavy sand filter has warped the plastic pad and it is sinking into the ground. I think that the sand filter is very heavy and the thought process is to replace it with a lighter filter. Do you think that the Hayward DE 4820 filter is lighter than a Hayward S220T sand filter?

16. Back To Top    #16

The weight is in the water, so if the volumes are similar, they will probably weigh about the same.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    The weight is in the water, so if the volumes are similar, they will probably weigh about the same.
    Jason sand weighs more than water and my filter has 250lbs of sand.

18. Back To Top    #18

Only takes 30 gallons of water to weigh 250lbs, and that sand will reduce the amount of water in the filter. It is not exact, but a few pounds different is nit going to affect the flex of the pad much.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Uncle Dave I have decided not to buy the FNS 48 due to its age, however I am looking at a 2year old Hayward DE 4820. I will have to cut the in and out piping to the sand filter in order to inspect the sand. My issue is that over time the heavy sand filter has warped the plastic pad and it is sinking into the ground. I think that the sand filter is very heavy and the thought process is to replace it with a lighter filter. Do you think that the Hayward DE 4820 filter is lighter than a Hayward S220T sand filter?
    I think you need to prep an area with cement block tiles or a concrete pad properly for this application before you do anything because a sinking piece of gear causes all kinds of other problems and is not how you end up with a "Trouble Free Pool".

Light = small and thats not what you want.

UD
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Davegvg
    I think you need to prep an area with cement block tiles or a concrete pad properly for this application before you do anything because a sinking piece of gear causes all kinds of other problems and is not how you end up with a "Trouble Free Pool".

Light = small and thats not what you want.

UD
    That is my intention however moving this sand filter is not going to be easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast