Draining Pool - Should I Be Concerned

NeilH

Sep 5, 2011
I'm having tile replaced on my pool. The contractor wants to drain the entire pool (35K gallons) to do the job. Having never done this before, I'm having concerns with the amount of water being drained at one time. Draining into the street storm drain is not an option. I have a small storm drain in my yard that leads down to a french drain so that should be able to take some of the water away. My fear is that my entire yard is going to be flooded with salt water, which will kill all the grass, but not before it's turned into a briny swamp.

Can anyone with experience tell me what to expect or things to watch out for?

Thanks.

The salt levels in SWG pools are low enough not to harm most types of plants, only those that are extremely salt sensitive should be a concern. Bigger issues with draining a pool involve the height of the local water table and the chance that the pool may float up out of the ground, depending on the pool and water table you may have hydrostatic plugs that can be removed from the bottom, dry wells around it that may need to be pumped out, etc.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.