Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question about Water Features

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question about Water Features

Dumb question incoming!

I've read a few times that "aerating" increases PH level. I've also read that aerating reduces the pool water temperature.

So, how do you stop the PH from increasing beyond acceptable levels and still use your water features overnight to reduce water temps?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question about Water Features

Quote Originally Posted by zethacat
    Dumb question incoming!

I've read a few times that "aerating" increases PH level. I've also read that aerating reduces the pool water temperature.

So, how do you stop the PH from increasing beyond acceptable levels and still use your water features overnight to reduce water temps?
    Most of the time I guess you use more acid. You also then need to add to your TA over time. Perhaps you add Borates for a more stable pH?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

i ran our waterfall fountain nearly every day for several hours to cool pool during the day when water temp would go over 86, plus for an hour or so many evenings since kids love playing in it. it went 6-8 feet high too. pH fluctuated between 7.6 and 7.8 and never went above 7.8 no matter how much I ran it. since I have a vinyl pool, I didnt do anything to lower it, just left it be since a slightly higher pH in a vinyl pool isnt that big of deal. My TA was 100 though, so that may be why my pH didnt just go nuts.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

You really can't stop the pH from increasing, but you can maintain it by adding acid to lower it. Just stay on top of it and you'll be OK. You are correct about the water features doing those things.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem