Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool using Orenda (CV-700)

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing pool using Orenda (CV-700)

Last year upon advise from my local pool store I closed my 13 year old Vinyl, 22,000 gallon pool using...

1 Quart Orenda (CV-700 PHOSPHATE REMOVER & CATALYTIC ENZYME) and
    30% algaecide instead of shock, etc. Total of $40.00. No other chemicals like I have for the prior years.

The pool was clear (closed Nov through May) when opening but, before I did this again, I wanted to get some expert thoughts on this method? Despite it working it seems strange and I couldn't find much online regarding this method.

Not sure if the clearness was due to the CV-700 and/or combination of the winter weather (Ohio).

Pool Store says this is what they use when closing.
    Thanks.
    22,000 gallons, IG, Vinyl, DE, Lazy-el,
    1.5HP A.O. Smith B229SE Pump (2011, 1-speed, 3rd pump), in-line chlorinator,
    2001 install

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing pool using Orenda (CV-700)

Quote Originally Posted by triumphGYOW
    Last year upon advise from my local pool store I closed my 13 year old Vinyl, 22,000 gallon pool using...

1 Quart Orenda (CV-700 PHOSPHATE REMOVER & CATALYTIC ENZYME) and
    30% algaecide instead of shock, etc. Total of $40.00. No other chemicals like I have for the prior years.

The pool was clear (closed Nov through May) when opening but, before I did this again, I wanted to get some expert thoughts on this method? Despite it working it seems strange and I couldn't find much online regarding this method.

Not sure if the clearness was due to the CV-700 and/or combination of the winter weather (Ohio).

Pool Store says this is what they use when closing.
    Thanks.
    Phosphate remover is expensive and not necessary if you follow the process detailed in this thread: closing-an-in-ground-pool-t2896.html

The key is that you only close after the water has passed the SLAM process and the water is also below 65 degrees F. You then open before the water is warmer than 65. If you do this you don't need the junk they are selling. If you want extra insurance Polyquat (60%) is recommended but it is not a requirement for most people.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump