Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump is "talking louder"

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump is "talking louder"

Okay so I notice a much louder noise in my back yard and walk around the corner to hear that it is my pump. I can hear the bearing squeak at certain times and the motor itself has a noticeable increase in noise. The original pump was a hayward and was replaced with Century Centurion (A.O.SMITH). The pump appears to be about 3 years old and is a 1.5HP pump.

I'm looking to see what I need to do as I'm not sure I can continue to run it (without damage to other equipment) or stop to repair\replace it. I just replaced my liner last week so it's been a pretty expensive month for a pool that is hardly getting used at the moment.

Looking for recommendations on how to proceed to address my latest adventure.

Thanks
    27K Vinyl IG Pool
    18x36, Aquarite with Goldline T-15 SWG,
    Hayward 244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump w/ AO Smith B129 Motor
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    NW Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump is "talking louder"

Replace the bearing yourself. I did it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R4yhrvSKcg

All you need is a bearing puller which you can get off ebay for around ~$15 to $20. Bearing are also available on ebay
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it going to hurt to run it until I can get the bearing in? It just happened last night. It's priming (no bubbles) good and pumping water with no visible issues.

additionally, is that website a reputable place to purchase the kits (assuming I need the bearings and shafts).

Thanks
    27K Vinyl IG Pool
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    NW Louisiana

4. Back To Top    #4

Probably not. I ran a screaming pump for 6 weeks so I could wait until after the close to repair it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there a recommended place to purchase?
    27K Vinyl IG Pool
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    NW Louisiana

6. Back To Top    #6

Any bearing puller will work. Try ebay, Harbor Freight, or any hardware/autoparts store.

As for the bearings themselves, you can use either an online pool supply store or if you have a Grainger close, you can match the number stamped on the seal and buy them from Grainger.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

okay, I bought a kit from an online retailer that also comes with the shaft seal. I hope that's all I need and that my pump holds up until it gets here.
    27K Vinyl IG Pool
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    NW Louisiana