Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and Solar Panel Heaters

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and Solar Panel Heaters

I'm waiting for some Solar Panels to be delivered. Does it matter if I place the panels before or after my SWG?
    6500 Gal. 17'x48" AG. Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF20110) with separate SWG (CS8110)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG and Solar Panel Heaters

Welcome to tfp, TGB

In fact, it does matter...the panels should be before the swg. The swg should be the last thing before the water returns to the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. That was really quick.

On a side note; I notice in your signature that you've removed the copper bars from your SWG. And since the copper is for algaecide, right, there is no need for it if we follow the pool school methodology?
    6500 Gal. 17'x48" AG. Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF20110) with separate SWG (CS8110)

4. Back To Top    #4

Correct. While copper is an algaecide, it can also stain pool surfaces and turn blond hair green. Maintaining proper FC levels (as determined by the cya level) will keep a pool algae free without it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.