Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to care for the pool surface

1. Back To Top    #1

How to care for the pool surface

Hi,

First off I am new to this forum and I wanted to thank you for the pool school.

I was reading the material there and I noticed that one has/can care for the pool surface to make it last longer. Is there an article on this site for this. I am referring to this page pool-school/pool_surfaces.

Thanks

Chris
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Sand Filter Pentair Titan II
    Pentair Whisperflo single speed pump WFE 4 (1 HP)
    Built in 2005
    SWG equiped, Zodiac LM2-24
    CH 340, PH 7.8, FC 8.5, TA 90, CYA 80, SALT 4000, CC 0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to care for the pool surface

Welcome to tfp, cbrown91

The article that covers this is a bit beyond beginning pool care. Here it is: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...alcium_scaling Let us know what questions you have.

How old is your plaster?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the message. It was built in 2005 and I just took over it as part of our first home. That is great information on that link. Thus the main thing to do would be to maintain the calcium level. Is there anything else?
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Built in 2005

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cbrown91
    Thus the main thing to do would be to maintain the calcium level.
    I am assuming you read the article and you meant manage all parameters that contribute to csi not just calcium?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry, I thought this was the same as another article I had read.

Thanks for this. Hence, you want to keep the CSI at 0 but then when I use the pool calculator and put everything in for the the pool I have based on the suggested information on this site I get a CSI of -0.4. I know this is within range but how do I bring it down to zero without adding too much calcium? Here are the values I am aiming for

Fc 5
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 300
    CYA 70
    SALT 3000
    Borate 0

I have a SWG.
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Built in 2005

6. Back To Top    #6

A csi of -0.4 isn't anything to really worry about much. Letting your ph go up to 7.7 will get the csi closer to 0.

What is your fill water CH, TA, and ph?

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for this. I am a bit of an over excited to be pool owner. I will move into the new house on October 28th and I am trying to learn how to maintain the pool before I move in so I can be right on top of everything and do not need to hire anyone. I have never had or maintained a pool so I am being a bit overzealous. I do not know what the water condition is going to be like. I know the pool was maintained by a pool company and it looked like it was in great shape when we viewed the house a number of times. I was reading everything on the site and, everything seems so clear. I have also already ordered my TF-100 kit and planning to play around with it and test some tap water before I move in. The only thing that left me a bit confused was the plaster maintenance and that seems to be quite clear now.

Anyway based on your suggestion I will aim for a PH that is a bit higher than 7.5. I think 7.6 would be best. Thanks for all the help. This site is quite helpful.
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Built in 2005