Pool Pump made a popping sound - stopped working

pweiss

Oct 7, 2013
Hello,

I am a new pool owner. Inherited it when we bought the house. Yesterday I did a backwash for the first time. I then put the DE in the skimmer and forgot to run the rinse cycle. After about 5 minutes I heard a popping sound (not clicking) and went over to shut the pump off. I smelled a hot burning smell. I gave it a few and looked at the pump filter to make sure the shaft was able to spin (it could). I tried to turn the pump back on then it make the popping sound and stopped working. I confirmed the breakers were still on and there was still power. When I was back washing the drains were clogged and i had some water back-up but it wasn't very much. (backwashed for about 45 sec).

I would assume I shorted something out. The owners who put the pool in (two owners ago) did it as cheap as possible from what I can gather. None of the valves are labeled. I still don't know what valve turn is rinse. (Figuring that out now) I have a AO Smith Centurion pump. The pump doesn't look like it is in bad shape.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it. I was thinking about taking the pump to a repair shop but wanted to see if there could be some troubleshooting and solutions I could do. I am reasonably handy. I will try to post pictures later today.

Thanks,

You don't need to replace the whole pump just the motor. There is an electrical short in the motor and it will cost you as much to repair the old motor as to replace it with a new one. If you split the pump where the pump pot connects to the seal plate then you can remove the defuser and the impeller then unbolt the motor from the seal plate. You will need to replace the shaft seal or it will leak

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

As stated above, sounds like the motor is toast and then you can get by with just replacing the motor. This would be a good time to seriously consider a small upgrade to a 2-speed motor which will allow you to save $$$ on electricity in the future.

If you add more details about your pump, we could help ID the appropriate motor.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

If you have been in your house for less than one year and if the Seller through escrow purchased a Home Warranty Policy and if they paid to cover the pool equipment - you can call the Home Warranty Co. and for $55.00 they will install a new motor for you... a lot of "Ifs" but just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like variable speed motors aren't too expensive. Unfortunately we have been the house for about 18 months so no more home warranty.

Ill post my motor stats tomorrow.

Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.