I am a new pool owner. Inherited it when we bought the house. Yesterday I did a backwash for the first time. I then put the DE in the skimmer and forgot to run the rinse cycle. After about 5 minutes I heard a popping sound (not clicking) and went over to shut the pump off. I smelled a hot burning smell. I gave it a few and looked at the pump filter to make sure the shaft was able to spin (it could). I tried to turn the pump back on then it make the popping sound and stopped working. I confirmed the breakers were still on and there was still power. When I was back washing the drains were clogged and i had some water back-up but it wasn't very much. (backwashed for about 45 sec).
I would assume I shorted something out. The owners who put the pool in (two owners ago) did it as cheap as possible from what I can gather. None of the valves are labeled. I still don't know what valve turn is rinse. (Figuring that out now) I have a AO Smith Centurion pump. The pump doesn't look like it is in bad shape.
If anyone could help I would appreciate it. I was thinking about taking the pump to a repair shop but wanted to see if there could be some troubleshooting and solutions I could do. I am reasonably handy. I will try to post pictures later today.