Thread: Thoughts on North Dallas pool before we sign

1. Back To Top    #1

Thoughts on North Dallas pool before we sign

We're about to sign but I wanted some opinions

40ft x 20ft, perimeter 110
    Surface area 657 + spa
    5 pool returns, auto fill, dual main drains, 2 skimmers
    Jandy never lube 2" x 2 1/2" three way valves
    Steel and Gunite Structure minimums - Belly and Wall #3, 10" OC with Alternate #3, 5" OC Belly Steel, 4 Box Beam, #4 4" OC. Gunite 12" Beam with 8"-10" wall and belly

Spa Perimeter 30ft
    12" raised
    6 jets, 2.5" suction line
    SPA Seat curved and contoured
    Dual Drains
    Natural Gas line for heater

1 500 watt pool light
    1 60 watt spa light
    4 by 160 SVRS Intelliflo filter pump 2 " suction line
    400 BTU Heater NG low Nox
    3/4 hp Legend pump with Legend pool cleaner
    2.0 hp polaris qt air blower
    pentair filtration
    filter clean and clear + cartridge 520
    Pentair sun touch
    ln line chlorinator

water line tile = 6" tile
    Coping - Oklahoma

PebbleTec pool finish

SPA Fountain
    SPA 12 Elevated with Spill Over
    Stone Veneer SPA Wall and Dam
    Elevated Bar and 3 in pool bar stools / Bar Stools Capped with 1 Tiles
    Cap Tanning Ledge, Stools, Steps with
    Oklahoma Flagstone
    10x10 Dry Bed Flagstone Seating area back of
    pool.
    Remove and Re-Install Fence Panels
    Recycle and Dump Fees
    Cleanup and Grade
    Gross Grade Finished off with Landscape Mix

Deck -Travertine / Light Ivory Tumbled French Pattern
    Approximately: 835 sqft
    Broom Finished Concrete base 3000 PSI Base
    #3 Steel 12 OC
    All Edges 6 Turn Down
    Leave Existing Patio / Demo Extension
    Cap Existing Patio and New Concrete with
    Travertine Paver

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thoughts on North Dallas pool before we sign

Who is your builder?
    18,600 gal, IG, Jandy 60 sq ft DE filter, 2HP VS pump
    Stonescapes Tahoe Blue mini pebble

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a smaller company out of Plano. I can PM it to you. We talked to Hobert and Riverbend. Ended up with this company because we liked them more. They were more willing to work with us on the decking and smaller accessories.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd suggest an extra light. One light for a 40x20 pool will light it but not vibrantly and not the entire thing at the same level. Is there not a light in the spa at all?

Some contracts will indicate information on reinstalling the fence and irrigation. It doesn't clearly show that here but you might want to make sure its specifically written in. Auto-filling in DFW isn't technically allowed any longer but most builders still do it. I was very specific about wanting this and my builder was very accommodating until he dug a trench to the hose bib. When I asked, he said it was to meet code but then when I reaffirmed the auto-fill they said they'd be happy to include it for $250. Even odder for us was that repairs to the entire irrigation were supposed to be done by them. However, oddly enough, it didn't include the damages to the irrigation for my neighbor's system that their tractors broke.

Ultimately, the line to the hose bib was removed and they added the auto-fill free of charge but you need to remember to get everything in writing. We almost missed out on volleyball sleeves on our pool because they told us it was included on all pools. That wasn't fully true either. You might also ask... if you provide steel posts, will they re-install the fence with steel vs the wooden posts (if you have the wood posts on the fence).

I don't see your diagram but be sure it accurately shows the location for umbrella sleeves, etc. I'm curious who your builder is also.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!
    A few quick comments:
    - your inline chlorinator will be for pucks, right? Those work well for certain things but are not the answer for long term pool care...if you read this article in pool school, it'll help you understand why!
    - I don't know if you've thought about a salt system in the future, but the Oklahoma flagstone seems to just disintegrate when exposed to salty water. If salt is not a consideration, it won't be an issue.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for feedback. Yes I believe the inline chlorinator is for pucks only. This will not be a salt water. I don't have a revised diagram of the pool. I'll post it as soon as I get it back.

7. Back To Top    #7

In addition to what has been said already I would also avoid the SVRS Intelliflo, and look at just a VS Intelliflo, or even a much cheaper 2 speed pump. If you search the forum you will find numerous reports of the SVRS system having false tripping problems. There has been at least one report that Pentair has been surprised by fact people are even selling them into non-mandated private pool.

Ike

p.s. I assume that is a typo on 400 BTU heater and should be 400K BTU
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry, forgot the link to the article I meant to post!
    pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

9. Back To Top    #9

30 sq is going to be too tight for spa! I am going with 50 myself and my pool is smaller dimension. Go with at least 40 sq with an led light in spa along with 2 leds in pool. More efficient than presented saving you substantially.
    Freeform gunite, 14,000 gallon saltwater sport pool.
    10 ton moss rock w/ waterfall, 50 sq ft raised spa.
    Bluestone coping, pebblesheen. Jandy pro flo 1 hp pump, legacy 325k heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I would stay away from the Intetillflo svrs pump.. All that pumps is going to do for you is cause you big headaches and after warranty is up high repair bills.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's a diagram of the pool. We signed last night and permits are being pulled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks great! Please post pictures!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Keven
    I would stay away from the Intetillflo svrs pump.. All that pumps is going to do for you is cause you big headaches and after warranty is up high repair bills.

Many of the cities in the north Texas area require by code an SVRS pump which I suspect is why the original poster has it in the plan.
    22K Gal, Chlorine, IG, Pebble Sheen Plaster, Jandy 60Sq Ft DE Filter, Intelliflo 3HP VS pump with SVRS, Rainbow 320 Chlorine Dispenser
    Other Equip - Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy LRZ400 Heater, Polaris 280 vacuum
    Features - Spa with fountain that empties into pool over waterfall spillway and separate table rock waterfall, Pool gets full sun until later afternoon and then partial sun
    Pool completed and filled 6/28/13

14. Back To Top    #14

I agree, increase the size of the spa to at least 48 - 50 sqft. We did and it is perfect. Anything smaller and I would have regretted it.
    35'x16' IG geometric with 8'x6' spa (16.5K gallons); White Diamond Pebblesheen w/Abalone Shells; Jandy 460 cartridge filter; Jandy 2HP E pump; Jandy 400K heater; Water Tech Blue Diamond Pro; TF-100 w/SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Digging started and finished Friday.

16. Back To Top    #16

Steel completed Saturday

17. Back To Top    #17

Plumbing completed Sunday

18. Back To Top    #18

Looking good!!
    Tracy

35' X 19' pool (pool depth: 3.5', 5.5', 4'. Perimeter 97) 2 HP Jandy (2 speed)
    Spa 9.6' X 7.4' (10 jets total- 4 on circ, 6 on 2hp booster, 6' cascade spillway to pool). Heater: 400 BTU LXi
    Tanning ledge and benches covered with stone. 2 LED pool lights, 1 LED spa light.
    PebbleSheen finish in Aqua Blue
    30" gas fire pit raised 18".