I did not wan to close my pool...

Oct 6, 2013
Without going into details of pump and filter, model and size, etc.

I went away for a week. A neighbor who was watching the house noticed the pool pump was on, assumed we forgot to shut it off, and shut off the timer. It has now been off "4 or 5 days", in Arizona.

I turned it back on, the pump started and ran for about 5 minutes, but no water flow. I shut the pump off, did not want to burn it out.

Should it take that long to get started again, having been off 4-5 days?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
TheGipper said:
I turned it back on, the pump started and ran for about 5 minutes, but no water flow. I shut the pump off, did not want to burn it out. Should it take that long to get started again, having been off 4-5 days?
The short answer is no. There are periods in mid-autumn where I may not run my pump for a few days. The next time I run it, the water starts flowing pretty much like normal.

It would help us though if you would post some information about your pool equipment. The best place is to add it to your signature so it will automatically be included on all your posts. Here's how to this: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

Without knowing more it is hard to say where your problem is, but I would start by lubricating the pump basket lid o-ring with silicone lubricant (don't use petroleum jelly) as such symptoms are often signs of a suction side air leak.

Ike

p.s. while your at it try dumping a bucket of water into it to start it priming, perhaps it fully dried during those days, sometimes having a bit of water in them makes all the difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.