Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I did not wan to close my pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

I did not wan to close my pool...

Without going into details of pump and filter, model and size, etc.

I went away for a week. A neighbor who was watching the house noticed the pool pump was on, assumed we forgot to shut it off, and shut off the timer. It has now been off "4 or 5 days", in Arizona.

I turned it back on, the pump started and ran for about 5 minutes, but no water flow. I shut the pump off, did not want to burn it out.

Should it take that long to get started again, having been off 4-5 days?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I did not wan to close my pool...

Welcome to TFP!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGipper
    I turned it back on, the pump started and ran for about 5 minutes, but no water flow. I shut the pump off, did not want to burn it out. Should it take that long to get started again, having been off 4-5 days?
    The short answer is no. There are periods in mid-autumn where I may not run my pump for a few days. The next time I run it, the water starts flowing pretty much like normal.

It would help us though if you would post some information about your pool equipment. The best place is to add it to your signature so it will automatically be included on all your posts. Here's how to this: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I did not wan to close my pool...

Without knowing more it is hard to say where your problem is, but I would start by lubricating the pump basket lid o-ring with silicone lubricant (don't use petroleum jelly) as such symptoms are often signs of a suction side air leak.

Ike

p.s. while your at it try dumping a bucket of water into it to start it priming, perhaps it fully dried during those days, sometimes having a bit of water in them makes all the difference.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~