Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Offset

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Offset

Ok, A new venture for me. Since the pump housing(diffuser?) was cracked so I called a pool company. They did not return my call. So I purchased a new housing. I cut the line to four way valve and am trying to re-install the pump. As it stands the pump housing is about 1/2 inch away from the strainer and 1/2 inch lower and half inch to the right. Can I force everything together and bolt up the pump or am I asking for trouble by putting too much strain on something (pipe, pump, four way valve, strainer)? Is it time for me to give up and call a professional? Thanks.
    Andy49
    12K, IG, Plaster, DE, Install 1992, Spa, Polaris Sport, Rainbow Chlorinator 320, Taylor 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Offset

Welcome to TFP!

I am having a bit of trouble understanding what you are describing, maybe due to different terminology. Can you post up a few pictures of the issue?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, Andy49

I agree with jbliz, a picture would help us understand.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

You are correct. I will take a few pictures and post them. The original size of the picture file will be 5 mob each. Do I need to somehow reduce the pic size or does the forum software reduces the size automatically?
    Andy49
    12K, IG, Plaster, DE, Install 1992, Spa, Polaris Sport, Rainbow Chlorinator 320, Taylor 2006

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to reduce them, or link to them on a different hosting site.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is one pic that shows the gap between the pump housing and the basket strainer.[attachment=0:12rt1swn]Offset.JPG[/attachment:12rt1swn]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andy49

7. Back To Top    #7

Is there enough "flex" in the system to even line them up? If there is, and you can get it so the whole oring seal is under compression, it might work. I doubt it will hurt the pump unless you have to tighten it so much that you crack the pump housing or basket. I would carefully try it and then put some water in and see if you have leaks.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am concerned because,
    1 I have to pull the pump against the strainer basket
    2 I have to move the pump to the left
    3 I have to raise the pump
    If I do all three, only then the pump is aligned with the strainer basket.
    Andy49

9. Back To Top    #9

Number 1 above should be fine imo, if it is not too much force on the fasteners (bolts in tension). 3 above might be fine, I would definitely support the pump from below so the weight is on that, and not just on the connection. Number 2 and 3 above have me a little worried, unless it does not take much force to do it.

One thought, if it is the same pump housing (dimensionally) as before, maybe this is why it cracked?

10. Back To Top    #10

The old pump housing was about 15 years old so I was not surprised that eventually it cracked. I have additional pictures that may show the piping/pump arrangement more clearly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andy49

11. Back To Top    #11

Use a hair dryer on the short section of pipe between the multi-port and the 90 until it heats up enough to bring the two pieces together. Because that pipe is far away from the pump, less movement is needed. But don't get the heat too close to the multi-port valve or the glue joints.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the suggestions. I just gave up and called a professional. He will be here in the morning. I just hope that the fees are reasonable since I have retired a while back. I am happy that I found this forum. Very helpful and nice community.
    Andy49