Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fire pit question

1. Back To Top    #1

Fire pit question

I had a quick question about our fire pit that the pool company built. We have a propane tank but the pool company used a natural gas burner for the burner element. Does anyone know if there could be problems with this?

I can attach a photo if you think that might be helpful.

Thanks!
    [center:1nbz4di1]29K gal, IG PebbleSheen plaster with raised spa, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump
    Pentair Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Intellchlor 40 SWG, Pentair Kreepy Krauly pressure side pool cleaner
    [/center:1nbz4di1]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fire pit question

I think that to run propane, you would need a propane setup. The reason that I think this is because we had a CNG jet on the back porch for our gas grill at one house and when we moved and had to go to propane, the regulator and Venturi setup had to be changed to a propane one.

3. Back To Top    #3

Anytime I have heard someone talk about changing propane to natural gas they always say" you need to change the orifice" I think they make conversion kits for devices. Isn't the natural gas more convenient? I am not sure about the price differences.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

4. Back To Top    #4

Natural gas is low pressure and has a larger orifice to compensate for that. Propane is high pressure. If you were to run propane thru a larger orifice and burner designed for natural gas you would have the capacity for greater gas flow and therefore a much larger flame. Since its a firepit that may be the reason they built it as they did. I think however I'd call it to their attention and find out if they did it that way intentionally. Alternatively you could just fire it up and see if you're happy with the results.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

5. Back To Top    #5

Propane burns hotter and at a greater preasue thus the burmer would burn out more quickly. and you would use more gas. For a fire pit thier would not be a problem you would just get a bigger flame. So long as you understand that you would use more gas and burn out the burner, the time scale could be two years or more depending on the usage.
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

6. Back To Top    #6

Fire pits are a different animal...there aren't orifices to change. The main difference is the NG is lighter than air and propane is heavier than air. I think the only difference in the burners is that NG will have holes on the bottom and propane will have the holes on the top surface. Otherwise, propane can pond below the burner (if it's in a bowl, which they usually are) and potentially explode.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you supply a picture of the fire pit. I asume it will be outside (daft question) It is true that propane can pool but it would not be an sxplosion as such more like a big whoosh of verry hot flame and could be dangerous. One the other hand these have been around for some time and are considered safe if used correctly.
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Fire pits are a different animal...there aren't orifices to change. ...
    Interesting! Never knew that. In that case are the only flow restrictions the regulator at the tank and how wide you crank the on/off valve at the pit? I've never owned a gas firepit, but if thats the case I can envision one helluva weiner roast.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180