Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many degrees do you loose at night?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cochranville, PA

How many degrees do you loose at night?

Just curious.
    Cover on, cover off it, night temps ect.
    Typically how much cooler is your pool in the morning.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

2. Back To Top    #2

Liverpool, NY

Re: How many degrees do you loose at night?

I found that not using my solar cover on the pool overnight during the warmest part of the summer months did not matter much, maybe losing a degree or two, but the sun each day would return that lost warmth. In the spring/early summer/late summer months, using the solar cover on the cooler nights helped maintain the warmer temps for quite a while, allowing a longer swim season. In the middle of Sept, I gave up on the swim season and stopped using the solar cover. The pool cooled off much quicker with the cool nights, losing several degrees each night.
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: How many degrees do you loose at night?

With a cover, about 3 degrees lost & gained per day and for most of the summer, I can easily maintain 85.

If I use solar without a cover, I will gain & lose about 6 degrees per day. However, I need solar to maintain 85. With the cover, I don't need solar.

Your results may vary.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner