Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pump worth fixing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my pump worth fixing?

I have a Hayward Super II 1.5HP pump that we think is about 14 years old. It has started to have a hard time priming and often doesn't prime at all. I took it apart to check the impeller and seals and I think the Impeller might be a bit warped. I can get all the replacement parts for about $50 but the pump has not been maintained well and I don't know much about it's history. It also seems pretty loud but I'm not sure if it was that loud when it was new. Is it worth putting $50 into this pump or should I just put that $50 into a new pump?

Also our pool is about 6 feet deep and we are using a single cartridge filter. Is 1.5HP the right size of pump or should we have a larger or smaller pump?
    Thanks.
    I have a 25K IG pool (concrete)
    I live in the Caribbean with poor infrastructure and lose power often.
    Hayward pump, Hayward clear star plus cartridge filter
    New to pool ownership

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pump worth fixing?

Hard to say if it is worth fixing without seeing it. What model number is it? If you have no water features (spa jets, waterfalls, deckjets, etc.) then you can probably get by with a smaller pump and getting a 2-speed would make sense as well.

What size is your filter?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The model number on it is C48L2N134B1
    Another number that I have seen while searching the web that is on the label is SB1610-Z1-M
    Not sure which one is more useful.
    New to pool ownership

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a 1.5 hp uprated motor (C48L2N134B1), so your pump is not too oversized for the pool (same pump as a 1 hp full rated super2). If the pump housing is in good shape and all it needs is the $50 in parts you mentioned, I would probably fix it. If you do replace the pump, I would go with another 1 hp full rated 2-speed inground pump (and if you ever just replace the motor, then I would go with a 2-speed motor).

What is the model/ size of your filter?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hayward clear star plus with a 120 filter.
    New to pool ownership

6. Back To Top    #6

That is a very small cartridge filter. If you do buy a new one in the future, our recommendation would be a minimum 370 sq. ft. cartridge filter for your 25000 gallon pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If it's having a hard time priming you could have a pumps seal bad, a suction leak in your plumbing or valve or bad lid or lid oring bad or dirty

8. Back To Top    #8

So I've decided to replace the seals and the impeller and see what that does for me. I think I have seen the symptoms of having a small filter. We have to clean it often, especially when we vacuum. Is that the biggest benefit to getting a larger filter or are there other reasons as well?
    thanks for all the info.
    very helpful.
    New to pool ownership