Bubbles in pump while backwashing

ian81

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Jenison, MI
Pool Size
Hey everyone I am in the process of closing my pool, while draining on backwash mode, when the water got close to the skimmer line I closed the skimmer valve, there then was a significant increase in the amount of bubbles seen through my pump too.
Is there a leak in my return from the main drain?
I have a small drip leak where the water enters the de filter, due to faulty plumbing, but there was no bubbles in my pump top or coming out of the returns this summer.
How worried should I be?

Also can someone pls tell me what this is?
e9u5a7yj.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

Ok so now I notice current coming out of my jets while on backwash mode? Semi strong too.. Have I just not noticed this before? This is my 3rd year closing the pool and don't remember this!

Do you get good flow when the valve is set to filter and you are seeing the bubbles in the pump? If not then I would guess your main drain is plugged/partially plugged.

As for the water returning the to pool while on backwash mode...that is suggestive of a damaged spider gasket on the multiport or the valve is not properly seated. Always turn the pump off before switching the multiport setting.

No idea on the capped pipe (at first I thought it might be an old main drain...but is sounds like yours is functional)...one thing you can try is to take the cap off and run a hose down the pipe and see if/where the flow comes out.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure if I even have a multiport or gasket, here's a pic of my setup from my intro thread, it's a picture of a picture since I am away from my house at the moment

Also there was good flow with no bubbles all year long, minus a pump issue.
I backwash by opening up the valve on the back of the filter
udajypys.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.