Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles in pump while backwashing

1. Back To Top    #1

Bubbles in pump while backwashing

Hey everyone I am in the process of closing my pool, while draining on backwash mode, when the water got close to the skimmer line I closed the skimmer valve, there then was a significant increase in the amount of bubbles seen through my pump too.
    Is there a leak in my return from the main drain?
    I have a small drip leak where the water enters the de filter, due to faulty plumbing, but there was no bubbles in my pump top or coming out of the returns this summer.
    How worried should I be?

Also can someone pls tell me what this is?

Thanks a bunch!
    18k gal. 16x32 IG cement painted
    Hayward DE EC-65

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bubbles in pump while backwashing

Ok so now I notice current coming out of my jets while on backwash mode? Semi strong too.. Have I just not noticed this before? This is my 3rd year closing the pool and don't remember this!
    Hayward DE EC-65

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you get good flow when the valve is set to filter and you are seeing the bubbles in the pump? If not then I would guess your main drain is plugged/partially plugged.

As for the water returning the to pool while on backwash mode...that is suggestive of a damaged spider gasket on the multiport or the valve is not properly seated. Always turn the pump off before switching the multiport setting.

No idea on the capped pipe (at first I thought it might be an old main drain...but is sounds like yours is functional)...one thing you can try is to take the cap off and run a hose down the pipe and see if/where the flow comes out.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure if I even have a multiport or gasket, here's a pic of my setup from my intro thread, it's a picture of a picture since I am away from my house at the moment

Also there was good flow with no bubbles all year long, minus a pump issue.
    I backwash by opening up the valve on the back of the filter
    Hayward DE EC-65

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ian81
    Also can someone pls tell me what this is?
    Almost looks like a gas line. Was there ever a heater connected to the pool?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.