Closing an in ground pool in Eastern NC

Sep 8, 2013
Split topic from "Closing an inground pool". More likely to receive responses posting to a new topic - BoDarville, TFP Moderator

I'm getting ready to close my in ground pool here in Eastern NC, and just like a previous poster, the winters here are usually pretty mild with no hard freezes. So after reading several great posts, I am thinking that i really don't need to drain below the skimmer, blow out pipes, add anti-freeze, etc., but keep an eye on chemical balance and run pump when it gets down below 30 (usually only a few days at night during winter). So my question is more about checking the chemical balance of the pool during the winter months. I'm thinking I should lift the pool cover at least once a month during the cold season and check chlorine and Ph levels, and adjust as necessary. What are appropriate strength levels for the most basic chemicals during winter months? By the way, I intend to start using the BBB method of managing my pool chemicals, so I've been picking up bleach and borax and storing to use during winter.

Thanks!
Ed

Welcoem to TFP! :wave:

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I keep my pool open year-round but it is not covered. I mainly check chlorine (FC) and pH. The FC demand will go way down in the winter vs. the summer. I usually test FC and pH twice a week during winter and TA once a week. Mostly, I am topping off the FC about once a week. Main thing is to make sure your pump's freeze guard is working properly or, at the very least, be mindful to turn the pump on when temps get near freezing.

jimenezev said:
What are appropriate strength levels for the most basic chemicals during winter months?
The chems should be more stable in the cooler temperatures, so the strength levels should match what's on the labels.

jimenezev said:
...so I've been picking up bleach and borax and storing to use during winter.
Bleach you will need, but borax is optional. Just be aware that borax raises pH. I personally have not had a need to use it, but each pool is different.

Thanks for the quick response! I agree that the chems are much easier to maintain in cooler temps. I've already noticed a big difference. The reason i do prefer to cover is to save on electricity (no need to run pump 12 hrs/day) and also keep leaves and debris out of pool...less to clean up. And yes...we have lots of pine trees and a few hardwoods in our back yard.

Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.