Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner questions

Hi all thanks for any help in advance. Just purchased a home with a built in masonary pool I estimate 30-35k gal. The masonary in the pool is dark. not black or brown, hard to descrobe. The water itsel is very clear. I tried scrubbing sections to no avail. Does it need to be drained and painted? Also I have a heyward DI filter that I believe I will replace in the spring. It is (I believe) about 15 years old and has several minor leaks around the tank and pump. My other question is I have a light tan colored silt on the bottom of the pool is this from the filter?

Chris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner questions

Welcome to tfp, ChrisInStockton

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInStockton
    The masonary in the pool is dark. not black or brown, hard to descrobe.
    Maybe post a picture? Are you suggesting that you think it is stained?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInStockton
    My other question is I have a light tan colored silt on the bottom of the pool is this from the filter?
    See if you can get some to feel if it is slimy or gritty. If it is slimy then you have algae (it sounds like dead algae). If it is gritty then you have some dirt that needs to be vacuumed. Does it "poof" away when you try and vacuum?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I believe it's stained.. The tan debris is like silt. It turns to dust when you swipe across it. Is it coming from the filter possibly?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it sounds like you have dead algae, so it is likely you need to do the SLAM process. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

Please post a full set of test results, see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efore_you_post
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

so the staining and the dusty tan stuff are algae related? Thanks. I'll retest everything thoroughly and follow directions on the link.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure about the stains, they they could be...but the dusty stuff sure sounds like it might be.