Flow Problem With New Filter

ohjj13

Oct 3, 2013
I just purchased a house with a pool. Due to some construction on the house, I made the mistake of not keeping up with the pool. The previous owner had 2 unicel filters that had broken bands. My problem is the pool wouldn't get beyond cloudy, so I purchased a new unicel filter. Problem is flow decreased greatly with the new filter. So much that I can't see any flow into the skimmer. There is water movement, but water barely comes out the jets. If I remove the filter I get strong flow, and the same if I put back the old filter. Shouldn't a new filter be less restrictive?

Broken bands on a cartridge filter are not cause for concern and doesn't affect the capability of the filter. I have been operating without bands for years.

The problem you are experience has nothing to do with the equipment and everything to do with the chemistry. You probably have a algae bloom and it is clogging up the filter so it is reducing the flow rate of the pump. The first thing to do is to kill the algae: pool-school/defeating_algae

Because the live algae plugs up the filter in very short order. Doesn't matter if it is new or old. This is why you have to kill the algae before you can filter it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.