Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flow Problem With New Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Flow Problem With New Filter

I just purchased a house with a pool. Due to some construction on the house, I made the mistake of not keeping up with the pool. The previous owner had 2 unicel filters that had broken bands. My problem is the pool wouldn't get beyond cloudy, so I purchased a new unicel filter. Problem is flow decreased greatly with the new filter. So much that I can't see any flow into the skimmer. There is water movement, but water barely comes out the jets. If I remove the filter I get strong flow, and the same if I put back the old filter. Shouldn't a new filter be less restrictive?
    In-ground 15,000 Gal
    1hp pump
    3+2 jets switchable
    Chlorinated
    No Water Features
    Hayward C-1100
    Unicel C-8610 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flow Problem With New Filter

Broken bands on a cartridge filter are not cause for concern and doesn't affect the capability of the filter. I have been operating without bands for years.

The problem you are experience has nothing to do with the equipment and everything to do with the chemistry. You probably have a algae bloom and it is clogging up the filter so it is reducing the flow rate of the pump. The first thing to do is to kill the algae: pool-school/defeating_algae
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been fighting an algae problem. I have shocked/slammed it a number of times. I still don't understand why a new filter will not flow better than an older filter?
    In-ground 15,000 Gal
    1hp pump
    3+2 jets switchable
    Chlorinated
    No Water Features
    Hayward C-1100
    Unicel C-8610 Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Because the live algae plugs up the filter in very short order. Doesn't matter if it is new or old. This is why you have to kill the algae before you can filter it out.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, ohjj13

You may want to put the old filter in and finish the SLAM process...see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool. Note the clean filter pressure and clean it when it goes up 25%.

Please post a full set of test results...see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efore_you_post

Does you new filter restrict that much even right after cleaning?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.