Sharing photos of pool/deck build

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego
I started this project in May and finished in August. This would have been much quicker if it wasn't for me doing a double Masters program and the fact I also travel for a living.

I did all the work...the dig, the pool the entire deck/ painting.. start to finish and I have never worked with wood in my life. Unfortunetly we have less than 1 month of swimming weather until we have to close it out, currently 78 degrees. Anyway enjoy. :goodjob:

2013-05-17%2007.07.38.jpg

2013-06-02%2014.03.09.jpg

2013-06-29%2012.16.50.jpg

2013-07-06%2015.54.19.jpg

2013-07-14%2015.51.32.jpg

2013-07-06%2015.55.18.jpg

2013-07-14%2018.32.28.jpg

2013-07-29%2017.55.07.jpg

2013-08-25%2010.16.55.jpg

2013-09-15%2009.00.05.jpg

2013-09-15%2009.10.18.jpg

Linen,

I tried it and all I get is download original (wanting to save my pciture to my laptop) no where does it say direct download. Maybe just maybe it is a Goverment computer (NMCI) thing. Best bet for me to try it at home. Either way approeciate your assistance.

Still not sure HOW YOU FOUND that direct download button; however, I simply copy pasted the address you designed 7 times and inserted the photo ID address within that and it works. :party:
I still want to learn how you did that.

R/
David

Looks great. Can you tell me in more detail what you did to the ground under the pool. Did you brick or cement under the pool or just make a barrier wall etc. I am in SD area also and am going to be digging and leveling our 15' metal frame pool this winter. I am thinking of building a deck/bar around the pool also. How sturdy are the pier blocks once you get the deck built. I might go the same route as well with the blocks.

Blacklisted said:
Looks great. Can you tell me in more detail what you did to the ground under the pool. Did you brick or cement under the pool or just make a barrier wall etc. I am in SD area also and am going to be digging and leveling our 15' metal frame pool this winter. I am thinking of building a deck/bar around the pool also. How sturdy are the pier blocks once you get the deck built. I might go the same route as well with the blocks.

Blacklisted well I made some mistakes (never trust one person's advice, especially online get numerous inputs) as I have to go back and jack up seven posts but the basics was I rented a Backho and dug down 5 inches then leveled that. Those boards are 2x10x14"s and they all have rebar hammered in every 6" to keep the boards from pushing out. In the middle is 3 yards of DG. DG was saturated and compacted (gas-powered compactor). Under each foot under that blue tarp, is a 10x10 treated 3'4" plywood square.

My mistakes: The feet sit at the end of the plywood sqaures and with the rain the DG has compressed and sunk down unleveling the pool, making the far end of the plywood push up thru the tarp. In that area, UNDER THE PLYWOOD SQUARES I should have sunk in bricks or pavers and then covered with 1-2" DG. Two I should have ensured the pool's foot was in the middle of the plywood square. Stupidly I was running out of room with the Intex tarp , tarp wasn't wide enough, screw the tarp, better yet don't even use a tarp except directly under the pool vinyl. This spring I plan to jack up those corners and lay brick underneath and redo my mistakes. Good thing is I won't have to drain and completely redo the pool. Bad thing is the earth underneath is clay and I will be bustung my hump digging a hole wide enough to get a race jack under the 7 sunk in feet. :rant:

Thank you to all who posted comments. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually we had two splayed rabbit's show up under there. I think there is a ferrel cat in the neighborhood. Found them beheaded and dressed out much like you do a deer. Have two dogs and they can never catch the rabbits, their fast, not sure how a cat could possibly catch them.

I'm ready, I have my 1400 fps. pellot gun at the ready should the cat return. :hammer:

calivette2003 said:
Blacklisted said:

Blacklisted well I made some mistakes (never trust one person's advice, especially online get numerous inputs) as I have to go back and jack up seven posts but the basics was I rented a Backho and dug down 5 inches then leveled that. Those boards are 2x10x14"s and they all have rebar hammered in every 6" to keep the boards from pushing out. In the middle is 3 yards of DG. DG was saturated and compacted (gas-powered compactor). Under each foot under that blue tarp, is a 10x10 treated 3'4" plywood square.

My mistakes: The feet sit at the end of the plywood sqaures and with the rain the DG has compressed and sunk down unleveling the pool, making the far end of the plywood push up thru the tarp. In that area, UNDER THE PLYWOOD SQUARES I should have sunk in bricks or pavers and then covered with 1-2" DG. Two I should have ensured the pool's foot was in the middle of the plywood square. Stupidly I was running out of room with the Intex tarp , tarp wasn't wide enough, screw the tarp, better yet don't even use a tarp except directly under the pool vinyl. This spring I plan to jack up those corners and lay brick underneath and redo my mistakes. Good thing is I won't have to drain and completely redo the pool. Bad thing is the earth underneath is clay and I will be bustung my hump digging a hole wide enough to get a race jack under the 7 sunk in feet. :rant:

Thank you to all who posted comments. :cheers:

Thanks for explaining what you did. I know your pain with the clay soil. I'm out in El Cajon and the ground is like a rock. So if you were to do it over again would you use the DG or something else? Does it compact enough? I think I will use the compact able base that is gravel based. I have gophers and I'm afraid that they will get under the pool.

Blacklisted said:
calivette2003 said:
Blacklisted said:
How sturdy are the pier blocks once you get the deck built. I might go the same route as well with the blocks.

Blacklisted the piers seem wobbly at first. Once they are tied together with the 2x6 joists they are stable as a sunk in concrete 4x4 pylon. Once the deck was up I had 7 guys out for some beers and we jumpedup and down and tried in vain to make the deck wobble. Some of us are up to 275 lbs. so suffice to say it's extremely strong

Thanks for explaining what you did. I know your pain with the clay soil. I'm out in El Cajon and the ground is like a rock. So if you were to do it over again would you use the DG or something else? Does it compact enough? I think I will use the compact able base that is gravel based. I have gophers and I'm afraid that they will get under the pool.

The DG is just fine for the body of the pool, even with 75,000 lbs. of water the DG has yet to budge...but please use pavers or bricks under all stanchions, external feet or anywhere where a lot of pressure is centralized in a small area (typically under the feet (stanchions). On the feet that did not sink I used a stack of old bricks my neighbor gave me and they have yet to sink after months of hose spraying, water being pushed out by the ocassional cannon ball, heavy rain etc. If I had used those bricks for all 16 feet we wouldn't be having this conversation.

:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.