CHEAP Taylor tests - Leslie's

CRG_80cc

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2007
Nor-Cal
Looks like Leslie’s is discontinuing some of the Spanish versions of some Taylor tests.

18574 OTO Deluxe Test Kit (Spanish) - $8.33 ($22.99 for the English version)

18572 OTO Basic Test Kit (Spanish) - $2.83 ($8.49 for the English version)

18575 DPD Deluxe Test Kit (Spanish) - $3.83 ($26.99-English)

18573 DPD Basic Test Kit (Spanish) - $1.83 ($10.49 for the English version)

Here’s the link:
http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 000:400000

If you are familiar with the test, this is a way to get cheap refills. If not, you can go to Taylor’s website and get the English instructions.

OTO Basic Test Kit
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2448

OTO Deluxe Test Kit
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2452

DPD Basic Test Kit
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2450

DPD Deluxe Test Kit
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2453

Ordered a bunch myself and thought I'd pass it on. :mrgreen:

I found them by clicking on the first link, which takes you to the test kits page, then clicking on the test kit you want. The DPD kits seemed like they were a better value.

You also get free shipping, so its a really good deal

Thanks for the heads up.

Randy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There should be a caveat added to this thread.

Those are great prices but those are not great kits. None of them will test Chlorine above 5ppm and none of them will test for CYA. None of them will test for Calcium. Similar kits are available at any Wal-mart for around 6-7 bucks (in English)

These kits give you a rudimentary picture of your water but will be virtually meaningless if you have water quality issues.

The Taylor K-2006, Leslies FAS/DPD Test kit and the TF-100 (that I sell) are all markedly superior and you will need one of them to maintain proper water balance of ALL your parameters.

Obviously, I have a dog in the fight but it would be very misleading for a newbie with a green pool to spend $3.00 for a test kit and find out he might as well throw it away as soon as he's asked to post a complete set of test results......something all of these kits are incapable of.

duraleigh said:
There should be a caveat added to this thread.
A second caveat...if you are simply buying the kits for refill reagents realize that the Spanish kits are most likely a very slow selling item and they might very well be old stock they are trying to clear out. There is really no way of knowing how long those kits might have been sitting in a warehouse and under what conditions they were stored in.

Well, I know all that. This cheap kit is just for testing the chlorine every day to double check that I put in the right amount of bleach.
For everything else I use my "Good Taylor Kit"
For water problems I would ask here first, with numbers from the Taylor kit.
But since using the BBB methode, I have not had ANY water problems. I test TC & FC every day, PH once a week & CYA once a month.

My post was not intended for folks who have been here a while and have an understanding of the principles taught on the forum.

My post was intended for the newbies with green pools. Reading this thread, they could easily assume these kits will be the ones people are talking about when they are advised, "First thing, you need to get is a good test kit."

These are not the kits.

Again, since I have an agenda, someone else should've brought it up but it nevertheless needed to be said.

Mine arrived already.
Got them for daily tests only, FC and pH as I seem to be going through those the fastest.

CYA reagents go quickly also, btw. Since I've just converted and started at 0, I think I'll be needing more of that soon....

duraleigh said:
My post was not intended for folks who have been here a while and have an understanding of the principles taught on the forum.

My post was intended for the newbies with green pools. Reading this thread, they could easily assume these kits will be the ones people are talking about when they are advised, "First thing, you need to get is a good test kit."

These are not the kits.

Again, since I have an agenda, someone else should've brought it up but it nevertheless needed to be said.

I would have brought it up but my blood was already boiling. I thought illegal immigrants were getting a price break on their test kits. :evil:

I received my cheap Spanish DPD kit today - and my first test for Cl was quite inconsistent with my other test kits. Makes me wonder about the age of the reagents. Ph was fine - haven't tried the alkalinity test yet. I will do a more thorough test when I have time, but meanwhile, as others of you use these test kits, let us know what you find out.

Good news: I last took Spanish in HS 36 years ago, and I had no problem understanding the instructions . . .

Coty

Re: CHEAP Taylor tests - Leslie's - UNRELIABLE

As a follow-up to my last post in this thread:

This morning I compared results of the new, cheap DPD test kit that arrived this week from Leslie's with my quick OTO kit (new reagents this summer) and the FAS/DPD test (from Ben's 233 test kit, with new powder this summer). I used the same water for all the tests. First I did the new DPD: Free Cl = about 1, 0 combined Cl. OTO: Total Cl about 5. FAS/DPD Free Cl 5.5, 0 Combined.

Conclusion: The free Cl test in these DPD kits is worthless.

Other tests worked fine: TA = 120 with new kit, 110 with old; Ph = 7.5 with both.

So if you ordered one of these kits: At least be quite skeptical of the Cl results until you verify them from another source.

BTW, I ordered 2 of the cheap kits, and they, unfortunately, are consistent with each other.

Guess I could get my money back if I wanted to, but it was only $3.66 for the two kits, and the alkalinity and Ph reagents are worth the money.

Coty

Got my kit, too.

Have to agree on the CL test. The reagent is pink, the result goes into into purple & is worthless for testing.

I ordered the reagent refill from saveonpoolsupplies.com

The rest of the tests are OK.
So I'm dumping the #2 reagent and replacing it with the new stuff, and giving the kit to a friend of mine. They are pretty clueless about water balancing, and are dumping wal-mart shock packs every time there is a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.