Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: quick closing question

1. Back To Top    #1

quick closing question

Is it a big deal if the water is not below 60 when I close the pool? We're going to be gone for break and I want to close it before then. I have a full, non mesh cover.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

quick closing question

The reason we say below 60 is algae has a hard time forming in water temp's below 60.

If you can't wait, you can use some polyquat 60 algaecide. Bring it to shock level for your CYA level.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: quick closing question

going to bring to shock level. does the solid cover help with the algae growth prevention? Don't have polyquat.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes it will help. The water won't be exposed to the sun and you'll hold FC levels a lot longer. Cold water also helps with FC loss.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't use algaecide and I have closed a few degrees above 60 (as high as 64) when leaves were coming down and it was the lesser of two evils to get it closed first and take my chances with algae rather than the certainty of a ton of leaves. I also have a solid cover and I have always opened to a clear pool going back to 2005. But I prefer to wait until below 60F if I can just to be safe. I will probably have to close above 60F again this year, as it has been a warm fall. You might not be as lucky--no guarantee here.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.