Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No CYA??

1. Back To Top    #1

No CYA??

I'm sure this isn't a "new topic", but I can't locate an existing thread. Just got back from out of town and the pool water is turbid. pH is good, but CYA is not registering at all; no cloudiness in the test vial. I need to SLAM the pool ASAP, so can someone tell me the best CYA product for the job? Is it something carried by the local pool store?... a place I haven't had to visit in several months, thanks to this forum! Is it a waste of good bleach to add a few cups in the meantime?
    6K gal., cartridge filter, AG
    Dallas, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No CYA??

Quote Originally Posted by Greta
    I need to SLAM the pool ASAP, so can someone tell me the best CYA product for the job? Is it something carried by the local pool store?
    I would just buy solid granular cya (sometimes called stabilizer/conditioner). Just make sure it's ingredients call out as something greater than 90% cyanuric acid. It can be bought at walmart, pool stores, etc. Put it in an old sock and hang it in front of the pool return (water coming back to the pool). I would shoot for 20-30 ppm cya for the SLAM process.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta
    Is it a waste of good bleach to add a few cups in the meantime?
    Until your cya gets in the water, your SLAM level is 10 ppm FC (for 0 cya). It may be hard to maintain that level during the day with no cya due to the FC having no protection from the sun.

A couple of questions:

How high was cya before you left?
    How were you trying to maintain and appropriate FC level while you were gone?
    How long were you gone?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Cya doesnt disappear unless you replace water. So unless someone replaced water while you were away or you just never had cya in the water whatever was there is still there
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

4. Back To Top    #4

That's a good point, Nathan. I have replaced water, so I must assume that my last CYA test was prior to the addition. I have also made the error of adding too much water only having to drain some off (a serious error here in drought-ridden TX). My testing chemical for CYA is fairly new, so I'm confident the reading was accurate. But the water has remained clear all summer with nothing but the daily 3-4 cups of bleach.
    Dallas, TX

5. Back To Top    #5

Not surprising Greta. 6K gallons is easy to dilute, especially with extra over fill. No biggie though, small volumes are easy to change so it won't take much when you need it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Wally World has good CYA .
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you everyone for your helpful input!
    Dallas, TX