A couple questions on my first DIY closing

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
photo-2.jpg

You can sort of see my setup here. Bottom left shows the pump and the skimmer/floor drain lines where they intersect before going into the pump. I assume that blowing in reverse then closing the valves will get the water clear of those lines. Then I put the cap/plug in the skimmer hole.

As far as clearing the returns, where do I apply the air? Through the hole going the other way into the pump? What setting on the filter do I use during this step?

Mainly I want to know if I drain the pool down to below the skimmer then do this (not concerned about water table), or do I drain using the floor drain, closing the skimmer when the water gets down, then blow out the lines?

I have an air compressor, I'm assuming some sort of "plug" fashioned to fit in the hole and blow air through will suffice.

Just saw a picture of where someone put a air hose fitting in the drain plug of the pump. I think this will take care of getting the water blown out in all directions pending my valve orientation. Still need to know where the filter selection should be during the blowing out phase for the returns.

"Winterize" I realize will be the final setting.

Also, is the below 60 degrees for the water temp an algae prevention measure?

Maybe I should just list what my plans were and then let you all critique them instead of trying to figure out what I'm asking.

Bring CH level up
Vacuum to waste to clean out any debris in the pool and get it clean for closing.
Backwash filter.
Drain down to below the returns (closing the skimmer valve before it starts sucking air)
Turn of pump and blow air (less than 10 psi) to the skimmer and floor drain from the pump via an air hose fitting in the pump drain hole, closing the valves when water is sufficiently out (plug skimmer hole)
Blow air with valves to skimmer and drain closed to clear water from 2 return lines (where do I set the valve on the filter for this? This should clear the heater of water also, right?) Cap returns.
Remove all of the drain plugs from pumps, cap from filter, site glass and pressure gauge.
Turn filter valve to "winterize" and blow air through backwash line to assist in removing water (can this be done with the valve on winterize)
Switch off all breakers to equipment.
Cover pool with spring loaded cover.
Place cover pump on pool cover (test for function)

If you are blowing from the pump, then you can leave the filter multi-port valve on CLOSED while you do the skimmer(s) and main drain, and then go to RECIRC. to do the returns, after closing off and/or plugging the suction side (skimmer(s) and main drain). Then leave on WINTERIZE when you are all done. I am not sure what you mean by backwash line. If it is a waste line--where the water goes away to when you backwash--then blow that one on WASTE. You need to blow all lines BEFORE taking off caps, plugs and covers from the pump and filters. Otherwise, plan sounds ok to me. I guess you have one of those combined skimmer/main drain lines, and I am not familiar with those.

ended up doing exactly this. Figured that recirculate would do what I needed to clear the returns. Got it closed, but it was a bit warm. I guess the story will be told next spring when I open.

FYI, putting on a solid cover with a pool my size (not even that big) is a big pain and I'm sore!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.