Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often do you have leaks?

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW Louisiana

How often do you have leaks?

I was just wondering on average how often do you have a leak in your pool plumbing that requires some type of repair not counting freeze related events? I ask because I have experienced several unexpected events this year (2 random major pipe failures, 2 unions that started leaking that were fixed by tightening, and one valve that started leaking from the stem), most recently a hose bib connection that cracked, and partly sheered off at the neck, getting everything floor to ceiling wet in the pump room.

p.s. the connection that recently failed was a nylon hose bib, so not a corrosion issue, have have been vibration induced fatigue though, or thermal expansion cycles.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: How often do you have leaks?

Interesting question. I have never had a leak in the plumbing of my pool in nine years. That said, my set-up is pretty basic and I have done a few mods to it over time but not much.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada

Happens quite often up north, when people dont winterize properly or experience a lot of issues with Above Ground pools using covers, up here, we just dont freeze, AGP experience Icebergs, yep, totally frozen. A cover on the top can pull the sides inward or cause heat to melt on one side, iceberg shifts and wham, that one side is pulled as the iceberg is frozen to it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can't say yet Ike, but not heard of anyone having anything like that around here. We know yours aren't from freeze issues.....or at least I wouldn't think so down there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr