Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin power supply got rained on and shorted out. Now...

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin power supply got rained on and shorted out. Now...

My pool place exchanged the power supply yesterday for a new one. So today, I'm running it, and the rain starts again! I sure hope this one doesn't fail, too! Anybody leave their's out in a hard downpour and it be OK? If so, did u do anything special, like not run it for days? There is no way to take the cover off to dry it out. It looks like the only way it can get water in it is from underneath. Unfortunately, it was sitting on my patio, where water tends to collect in the channels between the bricks that the previous homeowner put down.
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin power supply got rained on and shorted out. Now.

I put a bucket upside down on top of it if I think there is a chance of rain (rare here). Although sounds like you may have issues with water from below? If so, set it on some extra bricks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like it's the same power supply as my M5. Mine has been rained on and actually took a dunk in the pool once with no issues.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

4. Back To Top    #4

My dolphin diagnostic sits out on the pool patio year round (its 3 years old) with no issues what so ever
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

5. Back To Top    #5

For what it's worth, my Dolphin Liberty power supply/charger is completely encapsulated by a white/milky colored and solidified casting stuff, thus not a single electronic component is visible, thus would be somewhat water resistant.

6. Back To Top    #6

My power supply is mounted to the caddy. I just put a large plastic garbage bag over the whole caddy to keep the rain off the power supply. Seems to work although I don't know if it matters. The box appears to be fairly well sealed.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump