Will Epsom salt damage a free standing hot tub?

Oct 2, 2013
I'm in desperate need of arthritic knee and neck pain relief, and my massage therapist has suggested that I try Epsom salt soaks. I don't have a bath tub so I'm thinking about buying a 2-person (250 gallon) hot-tub primarily for this purpose. I was hoping to get some insight on whether or not Epsom salt would damage the internal working parts (pumps, heaters, jets, etc) of the tub. I'm not really worried about the need to change water frequently (weekly perhaps), or calcium-type soap scum build-up as cleaning would certainly be part of the maintenance requirements.

I just really want to know that I could expect to get a couple years (2-3, or more) of life from a tub if I introduce Epsom salts in heavy quantities (1lb/50gals).

Thanks in advance for any insight or experience (good or bad) that might be offered.

Epsom salts are commonly used in scented salts for Spa's, while not a major hassle, just remember, you are building a soup, starts out as a very diluted consume, then hopefully doesnt end up like a thickened french onion soup....the less you put in your water, the longer it will last and the clearer it will stay...IMO

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.