Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Will Epsom salt damage a free standing hot tub?

Will Epsom salt damage a free standing hot tub?

I'm in desperate need of arthritic knee and neck pain relief, and my massage therapist has suggested that I try Epsom salt soaks. I don't have a bath tub so I'm thinking about buying a 2-person (250 gallon) hot-tub primarily for this purpose. I was hoping to get some insight on whether or not Epsom salt would damage the internal working parts (pumps, heaters, jets, etc) of the tub. I'm not really worried about the need to change water frequently (weekly perhaps), or calcium-type soap scum build-up as cleaning would certainly be part of the maintenance requirements.

I just really want to know that I could expect to get a couple years (2-3, or more) of life from a tub if I introduce Epsom salts in heavy quantities (1lb/50gals).

Thanks in advance for any insight or experience (good or bad) that might be offered.

Re: Will Epsom salt damage a free standing hot tub?

Welcome to tfp, Mark Elliott

There have not been a lot of discussions of Epsom Salt use in hot tubs. Here is one I found: http://www.troublefreepool.com/epsom...ng-t54450.html
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Will Epsom salt damage a free standing hot tub?

Epsom salts are commonly used in scented salts for Spa's, while not a major hassle, just remember, you are building a soup, starts out as a very diluted consume, then hopefully doesnt end up like a thickened french onion soup....the less you put in your water, the longer it will last and the clearer it will stay...IMO
    Canada
    14 X 28 OG Key Aquarite SWG, Waterfall
    360 Sq Ft of Solar Panels, Goldline Aqua Solar Controller, 1600 Sq Ft Composite Deck

Proud to say I use BBB in my new pool company!