Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stamped concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Stamped concrete

Is stamped concrete slippery? I have 2 small boys. There will be running around the pool no matter what I threaten them with I'd like to avoid a super slippery deck. Is stamped concrete out of the question? Thanks!
    Tracy

35' X 19' pool (pool depth: 3.5', 5.5', 4'. Perimeter 97) 2 HP Jandy (2 speed)
    Spa 9.6' X 7.4' (10 jets total- 4 on circ, 6 on 2hp booster, 6' cascade spillway to pool). Heater: 400 BTU LXi
    Tanning ledge and benches covered with stone. 2 LED pool lights, 1 LED spa light.
    PebbleSheen finish in Aqua Blue
    30" gas fire pit raised 18".

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Stamped concrete

Certainly among the more slippery of options from what I read and our experience. But ours was sealed with a sealant that had no grit in it.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what bmore said. Unsealed, it is probably much more functional but it loses a lot of it's aesthetic appeal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

There are different options. There are stamped concretes (done at the time of laying the concrete) and stamped overlays (applied after the concrete pad at a separate time).

I have the latter. It is a little slick in places but is not as slippery as stamped concrete which I found very slick.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

5. Back To Top    #5

I dislike our simple brushed concrete and wonder what options exist for making it more comfortable on my feet as well as dress it up a bit. Brushed concrete surely isn't slippery, darn it!
    I wish our PB would have done more to "sell" us on stamping or other options during construction. I wouldn't have minded paying more for something nicer if I'd understood it better at the time.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

We really liked the look you can achieve with stamped concrete. A friend who has it around his pool mentioned it being a little slippery. With our grandkids in mind, that is why we decided to go with spray deck in a sandstone (tan) color. Plus, it was a reasonably priced option. We are happy with it and while some see it as a dated look, we like it...not slippery and a little cooler in the hot Texas sun. We have friends and family with spray decking and they were happy with it.
    16,000 gal., IG, PebbleSheen Aqua Blue, Sta-Rite 450 sqft Cartridge Filter,VS-SVRS pump, 400K BTU heater, Polaris 280, raised spa, waterfall, 32' rock wall with weepers, flagstone coping

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    I dislike our simple brushed concrete and wonder what options exist for making it more comfortable on my feet as well as dress it up a bit. Brushed concrete surely isn't slippery, darn it!
    I wish our PB would have done more to "sell" us on stamping or other options during construction. I wouldn't have minded paying more for something nicer if I'd understood it better at the time.

Why not cover it with a textured vinyl surface. That's what I have in my deck.

http://www.prefdeck.com/pageGallery.html
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit