Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stamped concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Stamped concrete

Is stamped concrete slippery? I have 2 small boys. There will be running around the pool no matter what I threaten them with I'd like to avoid a super slippery deck. Is stamped concrete out of the question? Thanks!
    Tracy

35' X 19' pool (pool depth: 3.5', 5.5', 4'. Perimeter 97) 2 HP Jandy (2 speed)
    Spa 9.6' X 7.4' (10 jets total- 4 on circ, 6 on 2hp booster, 6' cascade spillway to pool). Heater: 400 BTU LXi
    Tanning ledge and benches covered with stone. 2 LED pool lights, 1 LED spa light.
    PebbleSheen finish in Aqua Blue
    30" gas fire pit raised 18".

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Stamped concrete

Certainly among the more slippery of options from what I read and our experience. But ours was sealed with a sealant that had no grit in it.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what bmore said. Unsealed, it is probably much more functional but it loses a lot of it's aesthetic appeal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

There are different options. There are stamped concretes (done at the time of laying the concrete) and stamped overlays (applied after the concrete pad at a separate time).

I have the latter. It is a little slick in places but is not as slippery as stamped concrete which I found very slick.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

5. Back To Top    #5

I dislike our simple brushed concrete and wonder what options exist for making it more comfortable on my feet as well as dress it up a bit. Brushed concrete surely isn't slippery, darn it!
    I wish our PB would have done more to "sell" us on stamping or other options during construction. I wouldn't have minded paying more for something nicer if I'd understood it better at the time.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

We really liked the look you can achieve with stamped concrete. A friend who has it around his pool mentioned it being a little slippery. With our grandkids in mind, that is why we decided to go with spray deck in a sandstone (tan) color. Plus, it was a reasonably priced option. We are happy with it and while some see it as a dated look, we like it...not slippery and a little cooler in the hot Texas sun. We have friends and family with spray decking and they were happy with it.
    16,000 gal., IG, PebbleSheen Aqua Blue, Sta-Rite 450 sqft Cartridge Filter,VS-SVRS pump, 400K BTU heater, Polaris 280, raised spa, waterfall, 32' rock wall with weepers, flagstone coping

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    I dislike our simple brushed concrete and wonder what options exist for making it more comfortable on my feet as well as dress it up a bit. Brushed concrete surely isn't slippery, darn it!
    I wish our PB would have done more to "sell" us on stamping or other options during construction. I wouldn't have minded paying more for something nicer if I'd understood it better at the time.

Why not cover it with a textured vinyl surface. That's what I have in my deck.

http://www.prefdeck.com/pageGallery.html
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit