Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cleaning rust on ladder while pool is empty

1. Back To Top    #1

cleaning rust on ladder while pool is empty

As I type, my water is being completely drained from the pool and I thought about cleaning the ladder without removing it from the decking (concrete). It only has some mild rust (right above the water line) and I will not recirculate the cleaning agents thru the pump.

Is there an easy way to do this?

27K Vinyl IG Pool
    18x36, Aquarite with Goldline T-15 SWG,
    Hayward 244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump w/ AO Smith B129 Motor
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    NW Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: cleaning rust on ladder while pool is empty

If it's pretty light rust, I have used a little WD-40 and some reasonably fine steel wool with good results. If it's pretty deep, I am not sure what to suggest to take it off and keep it off. Others will have a batter take on that.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Agree with duraleigh here. WD-40 or Kroil with some 00 steel wool should get it.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

New Jersey

I have a recipe for removing rust from chrome bumpers that works great. Since I have a swim-out and steps my pool has no ladders, so I haven't tried it on one. I did clean up the corrosion on the trim ring on my light this way. Anyway, try dipping a wad of aluminum foil in a small cup or bowl filled with DietCoke. I've had amazing results with this on bumpers/trim. It's something about the phosphoric acid in the Coke. Diet is better because the sugar in regular gets sticky.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

This stuff removes rust stains from fiberglass almost like magic. It probably will work on stainless as well. A stainless steel polish should do the trick as well. ... 0mssf2zm_b
    9500 gallon in ground gunite with fiberglass overlay! :( :( :( 26 x 14

6. Back To Top    #6
    Seattle, WA

It's not recommended to use steel wool on stainless steel. The scratching and embedding of iron particles from the steel wool will make the rusting problem return to a greater degree than it was initially. Here's a link with a description of the issue and recommendations for removing rust from stainless steel. You can find many more references to the same by goggling "embedded iron in stainless steel". Steel wool is made from a very low carbon steel that is substantially iron.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.