Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking before Close this Friday --

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking before Close this Friday --

Hi All, Hoping you can give me some quick advice. I am closing my pool this Friday and am about to do the final shock. I have three questions:

1. I usually have a solar cover on the pool. Should I remove the solar cover before I shock it? I'm asking because it usually stays at shock level extra long with the solar cover.
    2. Is Leslies Algae Control the same as Polyquat? Want to know whether I can use what I have or if I should go and buy some Polyquat. Leslies Algae Control says to use 10-16oz per 10,000 gals. Is that sufficient for closing?
    3. I have solar roller coverstick from Solar Factory (http://www.solarfactory.com). How do you guys usually store this for the winter? Is it fine if it is rolled up, covered and stored outside?

Thanks in advance guys.
    JonnyBonz
    24,000 gal, 17x39 freeform, Plaster, Zodiac DE filter, 1.5hp Jandy HP Plus pump, Fusion Nature 2. Installed June 2012.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking before Close this Friday --

Are you doing the SLAM process, or just raising it up the SLAM level (aka shock level) for closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnybonz
    2. Is Leslies Algae Control the same as Polyquat? Want to know whether I can use what I have or if I should go and buy some Polyquat. Leslies Algae Control says to use 10-16oz per 10,000 gals. Is that sufficient for closing?
    I believe that is polyquat60. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/lesli...rol-t9201.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnybonz
    3. I have solar roller coverstick from Solar Factory (http://www.solarfactory.com). How do you guys usually store this for the winter? Is it fine if it is rolled up, covered and stored outside?
    I store my solar cover rolled up on my reel, hung outside on the back of my garage under the eaves.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks linen, I am using the slam process. My cc is currently at 0 so I don't expect it should take much time. OCLT should drop less than 1 by tomorrow. Does it matter if I leave the solar covers on or should I remove?
    JonnyBonz
    24,000 gal, 17x39 freeform, Plaster, Zodiac DE filter, 1.5hp Jandy HP Plus pump, Fusion Nature 2. Installed June 2012.

4. Back To Top    #4

Remove the solar covers during the process.