Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar covers and Intex skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar covers and Intex skimmer

Hello everyone, we just purchased a 15'x42" Intex metal frame pool about a month ago. I was given a solar cover from a coworker and have a question about the Intex floating skimmer. I'm worried about the cover blocking the skimmer. What is everyone doing to keep the skimmer clear of the cover? I haven't fully trimmed the cover yet, right now I just have the cover draped over the side so it doesn't block the skimmer. Will the cover block the skimmer or will it still work?

I was thinking of trimming the opposite side and leaving an overhang on that side so the cover doesn't interfere with the skimmer or making some type of U shaped floating thing to keep the cover off the skimmer.

If you have pics and links to you or others have done that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar covers and Intex skimmer

Welcome to the forum.

The cover will block the skimmer, but there is no need to run circulation through it when you have the cover on.
    With the cover in place, it can't do much good skimming at all. I would suggest
    pulling the hose off the suction fitting and letting the pump pull the suction from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

So basically it will pull from the bypass on the bottom if the cover is on.

Also what is the concensus on leaving the cover on? I have a blue solar cover and I live in So Cal. Should I leave the cover on or take it off during the day?
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

All depends on how much direct sun the pool gets, what the ambient air temp is, what the relative humidity is, and how much wind there is. Basically, if the air temp is somewhat above the pool temp, the winds are low, the humidity is not extremely low and the pool is getting direct sunlight...then in those conditions I would certainly have the cover off if I wanted to warm the pool water.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    All depends on how much direct sun the pool gets, what the ambient air temp is, what the relative humidity is, and how much wind there is. Basically, if the air temp is somewhat above the pool temp, the winds are low, the humidity is not extremely low and the pool is getting direct sunlight...then in those conditions I would certainly have the cover off if I wanted to warm the pool water.
    OK thanks. We are getting temps above what the pool is at and around 40% humidity and we generally don't have bad winds, just a small breeze across the pool. So I should leave the cover off during peak sun hours?

6. Back To Top    #6

I would give it a try. By a small breeze, do you mean constant, or just occasionally?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I would give it a try. By a small breeze, do you mean constant, or just occasionally?
    Sometimes constant, sometimes constant. Depending on direction of wind. My backyard is fenced and blocks most of it but we get occasional breezes mostly. The top of the pool is usually smooth if that helps.