Newbie low TA question

mikeqb

Sep 29, 2013
First off - I found these boards to be of great help in getting my spa set-up --- much, much more than my spa store!!!

I have the recommended Taylor test kit.

So, I'm pretty happy with where things are at, I have my bromine levels dialed in well with using bleach after use and the floater for residual.

I was noticing the pH was always increasing, so I added 50 ppm borates per the pool calculator (20 mule team borax and Muriatic Acid).

Right now, here are my numbers:

TA = 40
pH = 7.6
CH = 140
Temp = 102

My question is should I be concerned about the TA of 40? Afraid if I try and raise the TA that my pH will go up. Advice?

Thanks for the help...

Welcome to tfp, mikeqb :wave:

TA of 40 ppm is a little lower than we recommend (we recommend 50 ppm TA when using 50 ppm borates), but since you have borates also providing some ph buffering it may be fine. Keep a close eye on ph to make sure it doesn't get out of range to quickly (7.2-7.8). Additionally, keep an eye on TA and if it goes down any more, I would recommend raising it up to 50 ppm.

Bromine from tabs can be somewhat acidic (not as much as Trichlor, however) so watch your TA level as it may drop over time, mostly because the usage/consumption of bromine is an acidic process. If you were just using bleach to create bromine from a bromide bank, then there would be no issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.