Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie low TA question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie low TA question

First off - I found these boards to be of great help in getting my spa set-up --- much, much more than my spa store!!!

I have the recommended Taylor test kit.

So, I'm pretty happy with where things are at, I have my bromine levels dialed in well with using bleach after use and the floater for residual.

I was noticing the pH was always increasing, so I added 50 ppm borates per the pool calculator (20 mule team borax and Muriatic Acid).

Right now, here are my numbers:

TA = 40
    pH = 7.6
    CH = 140
    Temp = 102

My question is should I be concerned about the TA of 40? Afraid if I try and raise the TA that my pH will go up. Advice?

Thanks for the help...
    24 ft rd. x 54" 13500 gal ag; Heyward 1.5 hp pump and sand filter; Rheem htr

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Newbie low TA question

Welcome to tfp, mikeqb

TA of 40 ppm is a little lower than we recommend (we recommend 50 ppm TA when using 50 ppm borates), but since you have borates also providing some ph buffering it may be fine. Keep a close eye on ph to make sure it doesn't get out of range to quickly (7.2-7.8). Additionally, keep an eye on TA and if it goes down any more, I would recommend raising it up to 50 ppm.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum Mike!

Could you please put some info about your pool in your sig line? Type, size, type of filtration etc... It really helps us make better suggestions to help you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.
    Afraid if I try and raise the TA that my pH will go up.
    You can adjust TA and leave pH unchanged by simply adding baking soda per the dosage suggested in the poolcalculator.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

Bromine from tabs can be somewhat acidic (not as much as Trichlor, however) so watch your TA level as it may drop over time, mostly because the usage/consumption of bromine is an acidic process. If you were just using bleach to create bromine from a bromide bank, then there would be no issue.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"